• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

94 with several issues, plz help

Seaford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I'm new here so PLEASE hear me out. I truly need you guys help and hopefully can pay it forward in time. I have a 94 automatic that at the moment is the only truck I have and I need help to get it right so I have something then to my 5.4 I hope. The Ranger transmission gets hot or something and starts leaking on warm days and then I start losing fluid out the front bad and the smoke starts rolling. What do I need to do there to start? Also the engine dies when I come to a stop sometimes and I was told that was because of torque converter locking up? The engine (4.0) runs like a new machine sometimes and is awesome when it does BUT...it likes to stall out usually in the mornings when I leave for work and hit the gas. If I push through to the floor sometimes it backfires back through the throttle body but then the truck wants to run out from under me like a funny car!! Then it will continue to act up for the rest of the trip to work??? Now rarely, it starts, runs like a brand new truck as far as the engine goes and it's like nothing is wrong...but that's getting more rare with the passing days. Sorry I have the transmission AND the engine issues in the same post so feel free to divide and conquer. I really need help and hopefully can get back to where I used to be with healthy trucks soon. Stay safe out there. Thanks for listening

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
87Ranger Endrigo 2.9l, 87BII Endrigo 4.0l
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ranger 5" (2" suspension), BII 4" suspension
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
Ranger 33"/4:10LS, BII 29"/3:73LS
My credo
Deengineer until it is how Blue Oval should have sold it!!
Seafood, (94 automatic Ranger 4.0L)

I have only ever experienced an automatic transmission vehicle stall for 2 different reasons:
1) the torque converter gave out
2) the MAF sensor died (or MAP if speed density)

Have you checked your transmission fluid level and what it looks like? Pull any codes?

Tim_2020

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1993 Ranger
Make / Model
Splash
Transmission
Automatic
I am just a backyard mechanic, if the fluid is leaking from the front of the tranny it could be the seal. If that is the problem you have to pull the tranny. There are other issues with the al4d tranny google it, my truck the tranny leakage is from solenoids, but is small leak and the truck is not far from the boneyard anyway with rust.
https://www.transmissionrepaircostguide.com/a4ld/
I think in this forum there is also a very good write up on the al4d and its common problems.

Seaford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Seafood, (94 automatic Ranger 4.0L)

I have only ever experienced an automatic transmission vehicle stall for 2 different reasons:
1) the torque converter gave out
2) the MAF sensor died (or MAP if speed density)

Have you checked your transmission fluid level and what it looks like? Pull any codes?
I have talked to a mech that I think is going to get me in sometime in the future but not sure when. Fluid level is usually good and I top off when it gets low but I always do my best to keep that on the mark. He thinks the converter is locking up and stalling the truck as far as the engine issue but I'm not absolutely positive the engine is problem free so I think the tranny will be first and then go from there. As far as codes there aren't any that has shown up yet but....I haven't had them read in the last couple months (3) either so I may have something now. I will show him your reply about the sensor. Thank you very much!!

Seaford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I am just a backyard mechanic, if the fluid is leaking from the front of the tranny it could be the seal. If that is the problem you have to pull the tranny. There are other issues with the al4d tranny google it, my truck the tranny leakage is from solenoids, but is small leak and the truck is not far from the boneyard anyway with rust.
https://www.transmissionrepaircostguide.com/a4ld/
I think in this forum there is also a very good write up on the al4d and its common problems.
I will read it and thank you very much for your help. The fluid is for sure from the front seal and blows on the exhaust when the tranny get hot and then the smoke starts rolling!! I have a mech that will help me but just not sure when he'll be able. Again Thanks Much!!

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
On the passenger side of the A4LD transmission is the Vacuum Modulator

It will have a black vacuum hose attached to it, pull off that hose to see if there is ATF inside it, if so that will cause shifting issue AND stall the engine, when high idle vacuum sucks in the ATF

That hose to check is connected to the vacuum modulator, seen in this picture: https://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/images/a4ld_labeled.JPG

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17

Seaford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
On the passenger side of the A4LD transmission is the Vacuum Modulator

It will have a black vacuum hose attached to it, pull off that hose to see if there is ATF inside it, if so that will cause shifting issue AND stall the engine, when high idle vacuum sucks in the ATF

That hose to check is connected to the vacuum modulator, seen in this picture: https://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/images/a4ld_labeled.JPG
Thank you and I will try to get to that tomorrow and see what I have. Thank you very much.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals