• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

94 Ranger V8 tranny question

cjgibson

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Hi guys. I have a 1994 ranger extended cab 4x4 manual tranny right now. Looking for the parts to start the swap. I'm wanting a 5.0 with a manual tranny and keep the AC and 4x4. Been searching alot and can't find anyone who has done this yet. Can someone help me out as far as what motor tranny and transfer case to go with. And some ideas on keeping the manual tranny. The truck is gonna be a show truck. Wanting to have 44s on it. Already have the old motor pulled and the truck is in the paint booth. Pics to come soon. Thanks

cjgibson

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
So do I grab a motor from an explorer and the tranny and transfer case from a f150. The only problem I can foresee is the placement of the shifter located through the floor plan and the master cylinder problem everyone runs into.

cjgibson

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
So no one can give me a simple shopping list for a tranny and transfer case to make this work in my truck? What model or year should I be looking for?

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
Anything fullsize should do the job. And to help further, anything behind a 300, 302, 351 will do along with some other types out there. For manuals look to use the T18, T19 or NP435 4 speeds, M5OD 5 speed and if you feel like cutting your floor a ZF 5 speed.

Me, I am going with an np435 with an np208 transfercase.

There are many choices out there, just take a look around and take your pick.

Last edited:

armadillon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
So no one can give me a simple shopping list for a tranny and transfer case to make this work in my truck? What model or year should I be looking for?
It's not really a simple shopping list because there ARE quite a few options.

Check out the Tech Library. Theres articles specifically for the swap and it tells what motors work well, what trannys, and ALSO what transfer cases. I'm still new to the forum but I've read like six V8 swap build threads already, some included keeping the AC. Just check the search function, some people like RangerSVT have done a few swaps already

Last edited:

cjgibson

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
What is going to fit the best as far as the floor pan goes. This is gonna be a show truck and don't need anything super strong but would like to he able to burn rubber every once in a while.

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
Best fit is going to be the M5OD-R2 5 speed from 88 and up F-150s. That will hook to stock ranger hydraulics and is pretty much similar in size to the stock 5 speed. It will take a fullsize t-case, look for a NP205 or 208 they are physically the smallest you will find. The sentences of show truck, not super strong and 44's all adds up to things not ending well if you are going to romp on it. Are you planning on an axle swap at all? The stock axles will be the weakest link. With a tire that large you are going to eat front wheel bearings especially with a large offset, so it may be a thing to consider. V8s have been getting more popular so it's not an uncommon swap anymore so there is a lot of help and info out there.

Matt

cjgibson

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Thanks for all the help guys. An sas is in the works now. Going with 60 in the front and a 14bolt in the rear. I'm sure those will be able to handle the tires I wanna run. It won't be rode hard but I will romp on it on occasions. Just out to prove our Rangers can run with the full size guys. Rangers are rare in my neck of the woods.

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
14 bolt is a good choice, often over looked sometimes. Glad to help.

Matt

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
As stated, the M5ODr2 from a f150 will be the most direct swap, with close to stock shifter locations. Tcase options are 208, 205, and the Dana 20 are all the smallest of cases that fit. The 205 will need clearancing on the adapter, but its not hard. Other cases that will fit and are easier to find, but may require mods to fit are the 1356 and 4406/4407. For ac, plan to have your engine set back as far possible. Any other questions, just ask :icon_thumby:

SVT

Last edited:

cjgibson

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Thanks for all the info guys. SVT what do you mean by clearance with the adapter? I've been looking and can't find out. Are there any swaps were a electric shift case is used?

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
The 205's shift rails protrude past the mounting surface of the Tcase to trans adapter, a small notch is needed so it can be bolted up. Here is what I'm talking about. I did this one on another members V8 swap I did recently...

SVT

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
You are going to want to avoid the Dana 20 actually. It will require an adapter to use it on anything modern. From the factory it was only offered behind a 3 speed manual or a C4. Even behind a C4 it requires an early bronco specific tailshaft, extension housing and spud shaft which all can cost some decent coin unless you happen to have an EB laying around. The NP 205, 208 and BW 1356 all share the same bolt pattern. The 205 is the smallest, strongest and heaviest of the three and will require the notch seen above to use on a newer transmission. Not a big deal all the older extension housings were cast like that. The 208 will fit with a little grinding on the frame and some tabs cut from the case but nothing major and the 1356 will require the frame to be notched. The 205 and 208 are manual shift only but I don't see why you couldn't do it if you used a 1356.

Matt

cjgibson

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Just another quick question. What would be the best donor motor to get. I have all kinds to choose from mustangs to f150s to explorers. read all kinds of threads from people using each one but never compared to each others. which one has the shortest front end parts to fit in my ranger better. also wanting to keep the ac thanks.

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
A 302 is pretty much the same across the board as far as dimensions. A lot depends on what you are looking for. If you are going fuel injected I would say the 89-93 mustangs due to having mass air and a roller cam. The t-bird and cougar are about the same era. The trucks had speed density til 96. If you are going carb, replacing heads, cam and intake then most any 302 will work fine.

Matt

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals