• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

94 ranger shocks torque. Do or do not?

BigAssTim

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
I’m trying to put in a set of bilstein b6 4600 shocks and the repair manual says close to 30 ft/lbs on the top nut. Ive Tried getting the nut that tight, but the rubber bushings were getting too flat and I was afraid they might smoosh out. I’ve read a lot of folks saying just tighten them until the bushing start to flatten out and others have said the same but do a double nut to ensure it never comes loose. I’m not sure where to go at this point.

what do I believe?

Tim

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
The washer is usually wider than the bushing, tighten until the bushing crushes enough to equal the width of the washer.

Its a shock though.... just tighten the dang thing and leave the torque wrench in the toolbox.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
Factory shocks usually don’t have lock nuts... they rely on torque to keep them from backing off. They usually have a sleeve or a shank that keeps the person on the assembly line from having to think. He has a pneumatic torque wrench that’s set so he cant over torque the nut. That torque spec is based off factory replacement shocks.... It’s all about speed and eliminating human error on the assembly line.

As Dirtman said... tighten it until the rubber crushes to the size of the washer or just slightly bigger and be done with it.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I torqued mine to the Ford shop manual spec but I have seen numerous shops just run the nut down with an air ratchet until it stops. You be the judge.

JMF661

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Stock
Tire Size
31” x 10.5”
I just tightened them up until the rubbers were crushed together through the coil bucket. Double nut or a nylon locker are probably the way to go.

Grumpaw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
Stock 225/70/15
My credo
I don't count birthday's anymore...just happy to be looking down at the ground instead of looking up
As Dirtman posted, proper way is to tighten the top nut down till the rubber bushing is compressed to the width of the washer, maybe with a very slight bulge. Over tighten and you loose the "compressibility" of the rubber bushing. If your worried about the top nut backing off (never have had it happen in 55 years of replacing shocks) just take the top nut from the old shock, if its the same thread (most likely is) and run it down till it tightens against the new shock nut.
Put KYB's on my Ranger a month ago. The new front shocks actually came with two top nuts.

Last edited:

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Blue or green loctite works good too. NEVER USE RED! But like grump said, never seen one back off. The resistance of compressing the bushing keeps the nut from being able to back off anyway.

BigAssTim

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
The washer is usually wider than the bushing, tighten until the bushing crushes enough to equal the width of the washer.

Its a shock though.... just tighten the dang thing and leave the torque wrench in the toolbox.
Awesome, thanks!

BigAssTim

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
I just tightened them up until the rubbers were crushed together through the coil bucket. Double nut or a nylon locker are probably the way to go.
The new shocks came with a nut that has nylon inside it. I just tightened then until the rubber squished to the washers edge.

-t

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals