• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L ('83-'97) 94 ranger, reading cold and rough idle

Mightyfordranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3in
My credo
Clean your room before you criticise the world.
View attachment 57322
I happened to find a reply from @RonD for something similar. It’s gotta be head gasket.
Gotta love RonD dudes the shit. Few other guys in here are dang good too.

And that's unfortunate that's alot of work to do a head gasket. Also pull the plugs down one side of the engine if all are equally dirty and ones super clean (think steam clean) then it's likely blown around that cylinder someplace.

CoolMick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Gotta love RonD dudes the shit. Few other guys in here are dang good too.

And that's unfortunate that's alot of work to do a head gasket. Also pull the plugs down one side of the engine if all are equally dirty and ones super clean (think steam clean) then it's likely blown around that cylinder someplace.
It seems like he’s got a lot of good knowledge to share.

and yeah it stinks but I’m not too bummed about it. I’m looking at it as an opportunity to look for anything else that might need replacing while I’m at it lol. Thanks for the tip and all your helpful responses!

Mightyfordranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3in
My credo
Clean your room before you criticise the world.
It seems like he’s got a lot of good knowledge to share.

and yeah it stinks but I’m not too bummed about it. I’m looking at it as an opportunity to look for anything else that might need replacing while I’m at it lol. Thanks for the tip and all your helpful responses!
Not a problem I do what I can. Best of luck to ya. If you do decide to pull the head and stuff post back up we wanna follow along.

CoolMick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Not sure if anyone is paying attention to this anymore but just to update I got a new cylinder head on and everything clean and put back together! It’s runnin like a top now. Though after all that it’s still either running cold or the temp gauge isnt reading right lol

black_demon69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Not sure if anyone is paying attention to this anymore but just to update I got a new cylinder head on and everything clean and put back together! It’s runnin like a top now. Though after all that it’s still either running cold or the temp gauge isnt reading right lol
Do you have heat?

rumblecloud

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Splash
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1-1/2 inch front leveling
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
31/10.50/15
My credo
What's the worst that could happen?
We're still following. Some of us (me) arnr't that smart, so we just read and learn and follow along.
When I replaced the heads on my Ranger the gentlemen here walked me through it. This is an invaluable resource.
Looks like the crack in the head is big enough to cause the issue, but small enough to not muck up the oil.
Glad you figures that part out.

CoolMick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
We're still following. Some of us (me) arnr't that smart, so we just read and learn and follow along.
When I replaced the heads on my Ranger the gentlemen here walked me through it. This is an invaluable resource.
Looks like the crack in the head is big enough to cause the issue, but small enough to not muck up the oil.
Glad you figures that part out.
Agreed! I am an inexperienced DIY mechanic and this has been a great source of info

CoolMick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
A bit earlier I looked at the thermostat housing and discovered that the new gasket I put on on Sunday is completely toasted. It was one that was in my fel-pro head gasket kit. I just picked up a new gasket along with a coolant temp sensor and yet another new thermostat

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals