• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

94' Ranger Idle Stalls When Hot

94' Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
15in rims + Falken AT3
My stickshift 3.0 1994 Ranger started giving me issues the other day. I drove for about half an hour, parked it, and it wouldn't start back up till it cooled down. On the drive home I had to give her gas when idling to keep it from stalling. My first thought was a bad vacuum leak so I thoroughly inspected my vacuum lines and went through two bottles of carb cleaner spraying all over looking for a leak, no luck. I inspected my EGR and PCV valves but didn't see anything obvious. It sounds to me like a fuel/oxygen ratio issue but I'm not sure where to start looking for the problem.
It will start right up with no issues until it gets fairly hot, I can drive for maybe 15 minutes without any problems. After being warmed up and parked, it will start then idle for 10-40 seconds before the idle gets really rough and the truck will stall. There are no audible or visual changes that happen when it starts to stall out, the idle just get real rough then slows to a stall. Within the last year, I've replaced most of my ignition system including the ignition coil, all spark plugs + wires, and my distributor.
Today I am going to try to use OBD1 to see if it'll tell me anything but I thought I'd ask here to see if anyone might be able to point out any likely culprits or just give me a few ideas of where to look/test next. Thanks in advance for your help!

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Might want to check the engine coolant temperature sensor. This is the 2-wire device that sends info to the ecm. Not the 1-wire device that runs the gauge on the instrument panel.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

1994 3.0l will use a remote mounted TFI module for spark
A common complaint with distributor mounted TFI modules was that they would get heat sensitive and engine could run rough or stall after warm up and then not restart until TFI module had cooled off

Your TFI module should be mounted on the Rad support, engine side, usually on drivers side

When you are moving there is more air circulation in engine bay when stopped(idling) the engine bay will heat up a bit, and when engine is off engine bay will heat up a lot, no fan, so TFI would also heat up in both scenarios
But just a guess

Remote mounted TFIs look like this: https://www.supermotors.net/getfile/835324/fullsize/ignition-mudual.jpg

Big heat sink with fins, the plastic TFI module in the center
Locate it

Then try this
Carry a bottle of water, and maybe a hose so you can pour the water onto the TFI module when you have a crank but no start
See if cooling off the TFI module works to get engine to start
If so replace module
If not move on to something else

Also look at the CEL(check engine light)
It should come on with key on
And then go OFF while cranking engine over,
It goes off when computer SEES a TDC timing pulse from the TFI module
If there is no timing pulse then no fuel injectors will open

Air/fuel mix seems like a longshot for the symptoms, usually you would notice this at highway speeds

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals