• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

'94 Ranger - ABS Light

88B2EB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Any idea why the ABS light might come on other than for a low fluid level? That's what it's always been for me in the past and I didn't realize the 18 year old system was capable of reading anything else.

Last edited:

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
Parking brake issues? Is the brake warning light comming on when you apply the brakes, or is it on continuously? It is telling you that hydraulic pressure has been lost in one side of the brake system or that the fluid level in the master cylinder is dangerously low (a leak somewhere?) In either case, the fluid level in the master cylinder should be checked. If there's a leak and adding fluid will only cause the added fluid be lost and the warning light will come back on.

88B2EB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the reply Stray. The light is on continuously. I don't ever use the parking brake. The fluid level was good, that's what's got me puzzled. Every other time that light's ever come on I've added fluid and fixed the leak and it went off. This time the fluid was full. What else does that ABS light monitor on a '94?

Last edited:

pillen140

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
abs light and brake light are different. most likely a sensor, but yould have to read the code first

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
Yes, if it is on all the time then something with the ABS system could be messed up. How are the brakes under normal and panic stopping? on dry pavement does the truck want to spin or get sideways when you hit the brakes hard? That is a sign the ABS is not working. If all seems well then it is most likely a sensor. Take it to a shop and have them look at it if you can't do it yourself just to make sure you stay safe...ok??

wizkid00104

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994/2002
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L/5.4L
Transmission
Manual
I have a 94 2.3L and I had the same problem. If memory serves me, when you remove the oil filter, oil will sometimes get on the frame rail. This happens to be the same area where the RABS module mounts to the frame. I had to pull the plug off of it and clean it. My light went off after that.

It's probably also the easiest and cheapest thing to start with. Just get a can of electronics cleaner. If that didn't solve my problem, I was going to dig further, but didn't need to.

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I am confused about what you are talking about. You keep saying "ABS light", but it sounds like you are talking about the red brake light. The red brake light has never been able to indicate more than the parking brake and the fluid level except of a few select cars like some high-end Contours where it would flip on when the pads got too low.

The ABS light has always been able to indicate that there is an issue with the anti-lock brake system.

Low fluid will turn on BOTH lights.

88B2EB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Thanks all for the responses, that gives me a clear direction to move forward. The next steps then will be to check/clean the RABS connections then take it in to have codes pulled if the ABS light is still on.

Adsm, From your response I'm assuming my brake light is burned out. It's never come on in the almost 11 years I've been driving the truck so honestly I didn't realize there even was a separate brake light. Sounds like I'll have to investigate that issue too then.

Last edited:

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
both the red brake light and the yellow ABS are on in the 94. When I wiggle the plug on the proportioning valve, they go out. :D

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals