• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

94 Ranger 2.3 Battery Drain

LeIvoryCrow

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys looks like I'll be needing your help again I have a 2 amp draw off of the fuse #10 circuit.
While driving the drain bogs down the engine and will kill it if I turn on accessories. If I remove the fuse the truck runs perfectly.

This circuit runs taillights, license plate lights and RABS keep alive system.

I unplugged every light and component for the ABS system with the same draw remaining.

I then unplugged the main harness going towards the rear of the truck.

At the fuse block it appears to be a large black/green wire that comes out of #10.

My question is if anyone has a schematic or where else I can look to fix this problem. Any help will be appreciated.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
For a '94, I would think the wiring diagrams in the "how to tech" section should be close enough for this problem. Did the problem disappear when you disconnected the rear part of the harness? If so, then I would think you have a wire somewhere back there that had rubbed through its insulation and is grounded. Do you have trailer wiring connected? Very often, people create problems with bad trailer wiring installations.

LeIvoryCrow

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
After I disconnected the rear harness I still have the same issue, I'm curious as to what could be causing this issue without blowing the fuse?

LeIvoryCrow

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I'm not seeing anything in the "how to" section that would be able to help me right now.
Is there any notable places where the harnesses rub through on this model truck?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Diagrams below

Fuse 10(15amp) has 12v all the time and shares that with the main light switch, the Brown wire, Fuse 10 and Fuse 1 in the cab fuse box get full time power from fuse 2(40amp) in the engine fuse box

I assume when you pull out Fuse 10 the power drain stops?

Fuse 10 feeds 12v to the Main light switch all the time, but is only used when light switch is in Park or Headlight position
So if its draining power when headlight switch is off then either switch is bad OR................

I see 2 wires coming off of fuse 10, tan wire to the light switch(which should only use power with switch ON) and a light green wire to the Brake switch, check that
Also a Red wire coming off the same connector on light switch as the tan wire, going to ABS

Attachments

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals