• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

94 od light

Marlinmahi

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Does a 94 2wd ext extended cab 4.0 with a a4ld have an overdrive light on the dashboard?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

No, its does not, OD OFF light was added in 1995 with the 4R automatics, there was never an OD ON light in Rangers
OD OFF was set by Driver if they were pulling a load or had other reasons to not shift into OD while driving, it was reset to OD ON(no light) each time key was turned on again

But you could add an OD ON light if you wanted to in your 1994

Last edited:

Marlinmahi

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic

No, its does not, OD OFF light was added in 1995 with the 4R automatics, there was never an OD ON light in Rangers
OD OFF was set by Driver if they were pulling a load or had other reasons to not shift into OD while driving, it was reset to OD ON(no light) each time key was turned on again

How did the driver set od off? I don't have an od button on the shifter. And how do I add an od on light?

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
You move the shifter from OD to D.

Marlinmahi

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
You move the shifter from OD to D.
Ahh ok I got confused because I thought that you could move the shifter back to od from D and od would come back on. I didn't know about the key reset. I'm getting my a4ld replaced because of no od. And I just bought the truck.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The key reset was 1995 and up
1995 and up will have a button on the shifter, its a momentary switch not a on/off switch, with key on if you press the button once OD OFF light will come on, press it again and OD OFF light will go off
Key off and on will have OD Light OFF, so reset to OD on in the computer

1994 and earlier Rangers with A4LD had the option of driving all the time with OD off by using D or you can use the "D" with white circle around it, OD, and trans would shift OD as needed

In 1994 Computer activates OD solenoid by grounding it, you could hook up a 12v light bulb on the dash that has 12v with key on, and then hook other terminal on bulb to the OD ground wire on the transmission
Dash bulb would come on when computer activates OD solenoid

NIGERIAN RANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic

That OD light ON shows on my dashboard. Is there a way that can be removed, and why does it keep showing?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
There is no OD light "ON"
Just OD OFF light

You may have a faulty switch in the shift arm or shorted wires
There are 2 wires to the switch, one has 12volts the other runs to computer, if the wire to computer gets 12v then OD OFF light comes on, if it gets 12v again then OD OFF light goes off

Pull off the Clam Shell covers from steering column
Look at the base of the shifter arm, you will see the 2 wires coming out of the metal shaft, follow those wires to the connector, unplug it, also just have a look at the wires to see if there are any breaks/chaffing where the 2 wires can touch

This will disable OD OFF light from coming on again, because OD is reset to always on when computer reboots
But OD will be on all the time now

Picture of shift arm with the 2 wires and connector: https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/OgYAAOSwZlZaMtv3/s-l400.jpg

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I always wanted to figure out how to reverse the system so that the default setting on startup is OD off and only turns on if I hit the button. 99% of the driving I do is around town and the overdrive is just annoying and useless.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I always wanted to figure out how to reverse the system so that the default setting on startup is OD off and only turns on if I hit the button. 99% of the driving I do is around town and the overdrive is just annoying and useless.
Google: one shot timer relays

You want 12volt and a double throw so button would still work to turn OD on if you want
Basically when you turn on the key the timer relay starts(key on 12v),you set a delay of 5-10seconds or so then it activates for a second and sends 12v to computer(TCS) to turn OD OFF, then relay goes to sleep until key is turn off and then on again
So at each startup OD is set as OFF automatically

You could do it all under the clam shell where the TCS wiring is, it has 12v key on and the TCS wire back to computer(the 2 wires going to the push button), you just need a ground, which is readily available at that location

Same type of setup is used to disable Auto Stop/Start in some vehicles so instead of auto ON it changes it to auto OFF on startup

NIGERIAN RANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
There is no OD light "ON"
Just OD OFF light

You may have a faulty switch in the shift arm or shorted wires
There are 2 wires to the switch, one has 12volts the other runs to computer, if the wire to computer gets 12v then OD OFF light comes on, if it gets 12v again then OD OFF light goes off

Pull off the Clam Shell covers from steering column
Look at the base of the shifter arm, you will see the 2 wires coming out of the metal shaft, follow those wires to the connector, unplug it, also just have a look at the wires to see if there are any breaks/chaffing where the 2 wires can touch

This will disable OD OFF light from coming on again, because OD is reset to always on when computer reboots
But OD will be on all the time now

Picture of shift arm with the 2 wires and connector: https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/OgYAAOSwZlZaMtv3/s-l400.jpg
Thanks so much. Would look at it

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals