• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

94 explorer vs 96 ranger axles

Defective

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Are the front axle parts interchangeable between these two rigs? I have a chance to buy the explorer for $200 bucks. No motor, blown tranny. 126k miles and from California, so the 4x4 parts have likely have little to no wear on them. I'm interested in swapability of the rear axle too, however it's the drum version. Are there any advantages to having an explorer rear axle if its got drums, besides that this one has less miles than mine, with 240k now?

mjonesjr

I dance with the Devil...
Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Yes they are.

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Front axle is exactly the same as a 96 Ranger axle. So, unless you want a different gear ratio, there wouldn't be any point in putting the Explorer front axle in.
The Explorer has a stronger rear axle than the Ranger: 31 spline axles vs the Ranger's 28 spline axles. It won't be a direct bolt-in though. You need to weld new spring perches to the top of the axle.

Defective

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the info guys.

The ranger is a DD commuter and will not be experiencing any "upgrading" of the front in terms of offroad ability at this time.

The Explorer might get something new though some day. I'm considering using a scout as a donor to build that up. The main reason for buying the explorer is the front driveshaft, tires/wheels, overhead console and the cheap price. I'll part some of it out and try to come up with something good to do with the rest, or junk it. I would like to make a capable driveway snowplow rig out of it. Something that's small for maneuvering the tight stuff, not parking lots.

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Front axle is exactly the same as a 96 Ranger axle.
No it's not.

The 94' Explorer has piece o' crap split pins brakes and knuckles, while the Ranger would have the very nice dual piston "bolt on" calipers. The beams are also more reinforced on a 95-97' Ranger, including more welds and reinforcement around the lower ball-joint.

Unless the Explorer has a better ratio, new shafts or u-joints, then forget about it.

Just keep your Ranger axles.

Defective

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thank you for that clarification.

Drive shaft, axle shafts and spindles are the same?

Do you guys know if the front springs are stiffer on the explorer? If they are, will I lose a little of this front end rake if I swap those in?

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Axleshafts & driveshafts are the same. Spindles are a hair different for accommodating the ABS brakes on some '95-'97 trucks.

As for the springs... Without knowing what your Ranger is (Supercab, Reg cab, 4-cyl, V6, etc.) I couldn't tell you if they are stiffer or not. In any case, I would just use a few washers under your stock coils to get rid of some of the rake.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
EDIT: nevermind, misread the title, thought it said '96 ranger and '96 explorer...

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Axleshafts & driveshafts are the same. Spindles are a hair different for accommodating the ABS brakes on some '95-'97 trucks.

As for the springs... Without knowing what your Ranger is (Supercab, Reg cab, 4-cyl, V6, etc.) I couldn't tell you if they are stiffer or not. In any case, I would just use a few washers under your stock coils to get rid of some of the rake.
the '96 Ranger will be ABS, as would a 1995 Ranger 4x4,
but oddly a 1997 only might be ABS.

But the 1993-94 Explorers were all ABS as well

The spindles are the same.

AD

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
They might have less miles on them but might have been running for 100K in the dunes or along the beach. Sure don't judge by the miles. Good luck with the swap if it works.
Dave

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals