• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

94 Explorer 4WD- Clutch job

Kloque

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994, 1991
Make / Model
Ford, Suzuki
Transmission
Manual
Im having to change the clutch in our 94 Explorer and I just have a couple questions:

Does anyone know how to get the y-pipe unbolted?

And how do I disconnect the "tranny line"(?) The gold fitting that goes into the tranny near the top on the drivers side.

Also, we live in a smaller town and I was thinking of leaving my cats off, I would't be questioned or have to do an inspection at any time. Would this have any "bad" effects on the Explorer's performance?

Im already halfway through taking the tranny down, so any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Kloque

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994, 1991
Make / Model
Ford, Suzuki
Transmission
Manual
Sweet, thanks, I just cut the damn thing off, and bot some sleeves and some of that muffler repair putty.
I'll just put on the sleeves all stuffed with that crap and the clamp it really good and put some more putty and some muffler tape, I think it'll seal.

Wanna know something crazy? One of the exhaust flange bolts that I was torquing on and couldnt budge with a 1/2" socket wrench and a 15" pipe, fell out while I was sawzalling, lol. WTF is that?

Anyway, now.... I cant get the flywheel off. Tomarrow Im getting an electric impact wrench for it. Everyone says if I don't have it surfaced it will cause problems. My grandpa says hes done alot of clutches and never had one surfaced and they were all fine. But mine does have a groove worn into it...

My T-case is heavier than my tranny, I thought it would be heavy and had someone come help me to get it down, and I practically just grabbed that sucke by myself. lol, But the T-Case is pretty heavy.

Well, its getting there.... Woohoo for my first clutch job, lol.

pcollins

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
GMC
Engine Size
4.8L
Transmission
Automatic
I've never resurfaced a flywheel either and have had No issues.

Kloque

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994, 1991
Make / Model
Ford, Suzuki
Transmission
Manual
I cant get my clutch to release now!! I did get my flywheel resurfaced, and I never saw anything about shimming it, and napa didnt even tell me anything about that when they re-surfaced it. it, I was wondering if it should be flat or stepped, they made it flat.

Anyway's I bled that thing like crazy, I've done 2 bench bleeds, gravity bleeds, still no release.

Any ideas?

If it does need shimmed, should I shim the flywheel or the slave cylinder?
Also, they don't remember what they took off, and I'm too broke to buy another one, I've already spent all the money I had.

As for the exaust sleeves, it worked perfect, it looks clean, and has no leaks at all.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals