• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

94 cruise control - master cylinder cutout switch is where?

mperry

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
1994 Ranger, 4.0L, auto, factory cruise, 76K miles, extended cab, most factory options. The cruise control system worked for years, then intermittently (on one trip, off the next) for 6 months. Symptoms indicate it is be the master cylinder cutout switch. Pix show all models after '93 have it mounted either on top of, or below, the master cylinder. The next diagnostic step is to jumper across the contacts and see if CC works.

Unfortunately, it seems missing on this truck. Any ideas?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Brake light switch is the cutoff, also clutch switch if manual trans

There is also a vacuum line that runs into the cab to the Booster's atmosphere valve, it releases vacuum in cruise module as backup disconnect when brakes are applied, its called the Vacuum Dump valve
If this was leaking cruise would come on but wouldn't hold speed so would shut off

The wires on Master are for Low Fluid Levels, and cause dash "brake light" to come on and ABS light

The VSS on the transmission's speedo cable hook up is used for the Cruise, it could be failing, won't effect speedometer cable

Buttons can often become intermittent, worn out contacts
Does the on/off light come on?
Cruise Buttons use horn relay voltage so test if horn works when cruise doesn't

Last edited:

mperry

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I was looking at parts and they list the master cylinder cutout switch, and pix showed it... thus my confusion. I'll check my nephew's '94 Explorer... maybe it was only on those rigs.

I looked for a light to pop on, but I don't recall ever seeing a CC light. (Not unexpected because those lights aren't obvious.) Could be a snuffed light. I may have been the first person to use CC on this truck. I'll have to check to owner's manual. I noticed some lights come on with the ignition, but some (like the check oil light) don't.

Yeah, the wimpy little horn works. (I thought Fords had dual horns.) Thank you. The truck is in prime enough shape that I like to keep everything working.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Here are the diagrams I have

1996 and up cruise did have Brake switch AND pressure switch on Master, but not 1994

Attachments

Last edited:

mperry

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
The search continues. The problem seems to be in the steering wheel. The cruise will work perfectly some days, then fail for the next dozen trips. Does anyone know where to buy a clock spring for the '94 Ranger?

I called the local Ford dealer, and one in Beaverton, and their parts listing insists my truck doesn't have a clock spring. Of course, the one dealer also insisted it is equipped with a master cylinder cut out. The shop I work with could not find a clock spring in their catalog, either. Did '94 and earlier use a different method for the steering wheel controls and air bag? I've been searching online and can't find any other information.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
94 doesn't have a clockspring per se. It has a sliding contact, which is a pair of contacts in the column touching two copper rings on the back of the steering wheel.

mperry

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Thank you for the quick reply. This explains why I couldn't find the part.

I tore it apart and saw the rings were corroded. A quick polish and a dab of dielectric grease and hopefully the problem is fixed. I'll try it again tomorrow morning, just to make sure. The old gal has 76K miles, so maybe the intermittent functioning was after I'd turned the wheel often enough to polish off some corrosion. I don't really need cruise, but it drives so nicely that I find myself speeding without it.

Out of curiosity, what is a 12-Volt Sandwich project?

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Thank you for the quick reply. This explains why I couldn't find the part.

I tore it apart and saw the rings were corroded. A quick polish and a dab of dielectric grease and hopefully the problem is fixed. I'll try it again tomorrow morning, just to make sure. The old gal has 76K miles, so maybe the intermittent functioning was after I'd turned the wheel often enough to polish off some corrosion. I don't really need cruise, but it drives so nicely that I find myself speeding without it.
Very possible.

Out of curiosity, what is a 12-Volt Sandwich project?
Well, click the link and find out. All the projects in my signature are links to the build thread.

The cliff's notes is that I cut up a display version of a group 65 battery and turned it into a lunch box.

mperry

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
The cliff's notes is that I cut up a display version of a group 65 battery and turned it into a lunch box.
Yes, I clicked the link. It says "You do not have permission to view this page or perform this action. " so... maybe private? (The others displayed.)

mperry

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
The contacts were corroded, but it wasn't the problem. It's in the shop and they discovered the cruise control module had defective solder joints. They tried soldering them, but it was no help.

So, the glove box is torn out and we are searching for a used module. Ford and aftermarket apparently have none available and word is out to wrecking yards (no calls back, yet).

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Yes, I clicked the link. It says "You do not have permission to view this page or perform this action. " so... maybe private? (The others displayed.)
The thread might be in The Tailgate. You have to go into your control panel and sign up for the tailgate group before you can see that section of the forum.

mperry

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Ford had successful cruise control parts available in 1993. For some reason, they decided to use an "orphan" part. I read the cruise control amplifier (the control box) was buggy, so later they use a different module, and dropped the 93-94 part from inventory a few years later. The original part is F37A-9D843-AA, marked F37Z-9D843-A on the box, made in Brazil.

I was fortunate to stumble across a NOS part in the box. This cured the problem. Overjoyed, I headed for a free car wash. Jubilation lasted 12 blocks. When I went to put my driver's window up, the window regulator stripped out. <sigh> At least those parts are available.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals