• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

94 Crown Vic Alternator Overvoltage + many codes

Sevensecondsuv

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Many
Make / Model
All Fords!
Engine Size
Many
Transmission
Manual
So my parent's 94 Grand Marquis has been driving weird lately. It would randomly buck and jerk sometimes while driving. Yesterday it kept stalling but my mom was finally able to coax it home. I went out there today and it started up just fine, but started running rough after a few minutes.

I immediately suspected the fuel pump after yesterday's symptoms, but I decided to pull codes anyways. Here's what I got:

KOEO Hard Codes:
636 - Transmission Oil Temp

KOEO Soft Codes:
122 - TPS below minimum voltage
157 - MAF below minimum voltage
158 - MAF above maximum voltage
332 - EGR valve opening not detected
337 - EGR valve pressure transducer circuit above maximum voltage

KOER Code:
157 - MAF below minimum voltage

So I can now see why it wouldn't hardly run. But all those sensors were working perfectly a week ago, so instead of throwing new sensors at it, I'm looking for a common trend. What I see is alot of electronics going haywire all at once.

Checking the aftermarket Sunpro voltmeter I have installed revealed that the system voltage was about 16.2 volts at idle. I know it should be about 14 at idle so this seems high.

I then removed the alternator and had it tested at Autozone, which came back as a pass. But I still suspect the voltage regulator. Or perhaps the whole computer is throwing in the towel.

Anyone got any ideas? Should I order a new voltage regulator?

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I would pick up an alternater from the junk yard and throw that in. simpliest, easiest thing to do. Alternaters that are intermittant can be difficult to diagnose.

89DangerRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1979/ 2003
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.8L/2.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Just because the alternator passed doesnt mean that its good, my ranger alternator was putin out over 200 amps and this was on a stock alternator. It literally ate my red top optima battery.

Sevensecondsuv

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Many
Make / Model
All Fords!
Engine Size
Many
Transmission
Manual
I fixed this problem. A junkyard alternator fixed the over-voltage problem and a new MAF sensor fixed the rest.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals