• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

94 b4000 d35 ttb downgrade?

badmts

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have a D35 TTB that we put 4.56's and frt lunchbox (spartan) locker in.This truck was a capable DD until then , did not make a huge difference in dry or mud but made SNOW WHEELIN' IMPOSSIBLE! So now the ujoints are shot and it's leaking badly-question,rebuild and eliminate locker or find 35TTB and swap gears/lift .Either way the locker is GOING just want advice/insight on plan of action.How hard is it to find ttb with LSD or get one used-if you have front LSD please do not hesitate to pm me.This is NOT high priority as I am fixing my auto DD and have written off wheelin for the forseeable future but if opportunities present themselves I can move on needed parts if PRICE IS RIGHT!

bigmark303

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.5
Transmission
Automatic
If you don't need the truck right away remove the 3rd member yourself and buy a limited slip. With the 4.56s already set up you can pull just the ring gear and swap it over to the limited slip carrier. The only real work youll have to do is set up the ring gear and carrier. You should get away with setting it back up they way it was with minimal difference. Then just mark and check the ring gear to make sure it meets the pinion properly. There usually isn't any need to set up gears again if you just swap a new carrier in. Most of the time it goes right back together without an issue.

As for a locker in the front in my opinion always a bad idea for anything but rock crawling. Lockers are great for high traction situations where you don't need to turn. Any terrain where both axles are spinning (mud/snow) A limited slip is engaged and both tires on the axle are working anyway.

One of my trucks had lockers front and rear and another has Detroit true tracs front and rear. Both trucks performed the same in mud because both axles were always spinning. All four wheels moving on each truck. The only time the lockers came shining through is when I had traction and needed to crawl over something. I removed the front locker from that truck and went back to an open. Now im getting it regeared and going with a true trac in the front.

brinker88

11/2013 OTOM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Why not just lock one side of the hubs?

ridgerunner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'll 2nd the Truetrac. I put one in the front of my dodge 2500 and it works great (one with my hand on it). The rear Detroit LSD not so much.

bigmark303

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.5
Transmission
Automatic
Why not just lock one side of the hubs?
That's exactly what I used to do and would not recommend it if installing a limited slip is an option.

Works great until you need that 2nd tire on the front axle which is very important to climb anything slick on a hill. And if you do lock it in but then need to turn at the top of the hill forget it.

There is some benefit to knowing the wheel that's locked in is going to be reliable and not shift power, but that's also only if you can pick a path where that one tire never leaves the ground or looses traction.

rangerbum

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Manual
I've never found a L/S d35 ttb, but I haven't looked very hard. One option would be to find a jeep Cherokee or Grand Cherokee with a dana 35 rear end with L/S and swapping the carrier over to your ring gear.

I haven't done this personally but have heard that it swaps right over and works well. I have a jeep Dana 35 with L/S in storage right now that I was going to use for my project, but I went a different route. I'm eventually going to put that L/S in my front and see how it works out.

Hagan

08/2013 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I dont understand what problems are you having with a locked front and snow? I've never been in a situation where I wished I didn't have a locked front axle.

badmts

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well swaping gears is not the big issue,its all the seals and ujoints and other stuff.I just can't find a donor axle/rig .As for whats wrong in snow-IT HEADS FOR DITCH when front axle is locked in when in snow-HATE IT NOW!

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I have said it before and I am sure I will say it again.

Putting a front locker in a vehicle that will be driven on road in 4x4 is STUPID. Lockers, LSDs, 4x4, ABS, all of them replace skills, there is no replacement for skill.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have said it before and I am sure I will say it again.

Putting a front locker in a vehicle that will be driven on road in 4x4 is STUPID. Lockers, LSDs, 4x4, ABS, all of them replace skills, there is no replacement for skill.
Except for skill combined with lockers, lsd, 4x4 and abs. :D

I put limited slip in the rear of my Ranger, honestly I prefer my open dd on slick streets. In 2wd the Ranger will spin both tires and want to bring the rear around if you look at it wrong, my F-150 spins one tire but still tries to march straight 90% of the time. I don't like my trucks trying to do goofy crap unprovoked.

People say locked/limited axles are more predictable than open... yeah like a pet T-Rex is more predictable in wanting to eat its owner than a dog.

brinker88

11/2013 OTOM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I LOVE being locked in snowy, slick streets. I know exactly how to anticipate the trucks reactions. I would never go back to open/LSD in the rear of a vehicle.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Except for skill combined with lockers, lsd, 4x4 and abs. :D

I put limited slip in the rear of my Ranger, honestly I prefer my open dd on slick streets. In 2wd the Ranger will spin both tires and want to bring the rear around if you look at it wrong, my F-150 spins one tire but still tries to march straight 90% of the time. I don't like my trucks trying to do goofy crap unprovoked.

People say locked/limited axles are more predictable than open... yeah like a pet T-Rex is more predictable in wanting to eat its owner than a dog.
For the most part I like my LSD in the rear. There is one spot here that I HATE on wet days. It is a metal bridge binder going uphill and it breaks them loose on it EVERY time.

Hagan

08/2013 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I LOVE being locked in snowy, slick streets. I know exactly how to anticipate the trucks reactions. I would never go back to open/LSD in the rear of a vehicle.
x2

I prefer predictability

badmts

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
To those that forgot or did not read,my question is regarding the REAR and trails that are snow covered (Seattle streets are seldom snow covered)-the right front wants to go right for the ditch.That Jeep idea seems good as does the true trac albeit expensive,will call Junk Yard on the morrow...

Hagan

08/2013 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I thought this thread was initially about the front???

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals