• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

94 b4000 axle swap/offroad build

Roger

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm going to echo what NMB2 is saying. Mount the radius arm brackets directly to the frame, those washers will create issues.

I'm going to use mounts very similar to these (this lift is going to be moved over to our Explorer...), to mount my long arm radius arm setup. Except, they have to go where the trans crossmember mounts are. I'm going to modify an old XJ crossmember for its replacement.

Keep the mounts solid to the frame.

kroussinoffroad

October 2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ferd
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
well i have to say that it beats some of the swap's ive seen where they space the arm down with some random 3'' square tubing...

as far as solid to the frame that's out of the question now that the holes are drilled into the side of the frame, and moving them 1/4'' would mean oblonging the hole. which will be worse then spacing the whole bracket down 1/4''. so it IS what it IS

as far as "JANKEY" i dont care if my swap looks "TRICK". And I and my buddy doin the welding who is a fabricator/machinist by trade looked at the factory crossmember and couldnt see how it offered that much MORE support to the frame than what i am doin. as it only has 3 bolts that are not very well located for "support". he did however reccommend runnin some bead down the plate / OR welding on some 1/2'' tall sides to give it a little more support horizontally. He is plannin on welding a 1/4'' plate between the whole link bracket and angle when everything is said and done the washers will be gone. As i said "I used what i had to make it work". And in my first post i mentioned he will be doin all the finish welding. which I am positive will be as good if not better than anything else offered in the area. He is an Amazing welder and comes from a family of very distinguished Welders , fabrictors, pipe fitters, and/or steel workers as i have known him since grade school

And NMB2 im gonna get all jerry springer about your comment about haveing "much more experience" . YOU DONT KNOW ME, YOU DONT KNOW MY FRIENDS SO DONT JUDGE ME

if you want to check out what his uncle does in his spare time check this out
http://lakenenland.com/gallery.html

If you want to hate HATE ON
but as FLASH GORDAN said STFU oh and DIAF:thefinger:

Last edited:

NMB2

July 2010 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 V8
Transmission
Automatic
well i have to say that it beats some of the swap's ive seen where they space the arm down with some random 3'' square tubing...

as far as solid to the frame that's out of the question now that the holes are drilled into the side of the frame, and moving them 1/4'' would mean oblonging the hole. which will be worse then spacing the whole bracket down 1/4''. so it IS what it IS

as far as "JANKEY" i dont care if my swap looks "TRICK". And I and my buddy doin the welding who is a fabricator/machinist by trade looked at the factory crossmember and couldnt see how it offered that much MORE support to the frame than what i am doin. as it only has 3 bolts that are not very well located for "support". he did however reccommend runnin some bead down the plate / OR welding on some 1/2'' tall sides to give it a little more support horizontally. He is plannin on welding a 1/4'' plate between the whole link bracket and angle when everything is said and done the washers will be gone. As i said "I used what i had to make it work". And in my first post i mentioned he will be doin all the finish welding. which I am positive will be as good if not better than anything else offered in the area. He is an Amazing welder and comes from a family of very distinguished Welders , fabrictors, pipe fitters, and/or steel workers as i have known him since grade school

if you want to check out what his uncle does in his spare time check this out
http://lakenenland.com/gallery.html

If you want to hate HATE ON
but as FLASH GORDAN said STFU oh and DIAF:thefinger:
it would seem like all you're trying to do is overwhelm me with all of your *friends* experience, Ill just tell you... I'm not impressed. He can be the best welder on planet earth and it still wouldnt mean jack shit because that doesnt mean he knows how to build something. Also, although that website you posted is cool, it doesnt mean shit to me.... thats not building trucks.

I dont understand what is up with so many people stuck on doing shit their own way when somebody else who knows more is trying to steer them right. You're right, its your truck and you can build it how you want, but when you come pimpin it online be ready for critisism and negative comments, especially when you're building janky shit.

the stock x-member and mount unit offers WAY more support than yours...do you understand the importance of stamped peices, and solid 1peice units.? Its not how many ****ing bolts you can jam onto a bracket, its the design.

And NMB2 im gonna get all jerry springer about your comment about haveing "much more experience" . YOU DONT KNOW ME, YOU DONT KNOW MY FRIENDS SO DONT JUDGE ME
you're right, i dont know you, and i dont know your "friends" but your display of fabrication and attitude towards redirection is a pretty good indicator.
Whats worse is that you're on the EASY part of the swap, you havent even gotten into the trac bar mounts and stuff yet.

oh and please enlighten me... what is diaf?

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
I want to say that your build looks great and I will say that doing a project like this stuff will change such as stuff like how its mounted, what materials you used, etc, but its not worth arguing over and potently getting banned over too, I would hate to see that.

As I've read and from the looks of it, its still in mach-up so I can see somebody giving their advice on what they would do or recommend.

Back to the pictures: Your giving enough, at least for me to want to see, and looking at those brackets you ordered and how nice of quality they are I 'm going to get the same ones, but mine will have to be the 3 inch wide ones, instead of the 2.63 inch ones, which are an extra 2 bucks but no biggy.

I will say great job and keep up the good work.

kroussinoffroad

OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ferd
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
EVERYTHING is temporary as i will need to do alot more work to make everything I did today FINAL alot of areas do need to be adressed as you may see in the pictures. and i allready know that
Enough said

Last edited:

ForOffRoadDriving

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
i think it looks good, and like you said, it aint finished yet. there are so many ways to put a solid axle under a truck that no 2 trucks are going to be done exactly the same. if a component is weak or poorly designed then it will break, which just means you need to study how it failed and make it better. keep up with the pictures and keep moving forward!

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15

Photos like this will always draw criticism if you don't emphasize that your mocking something up and that it's not finished.

We see worse stuff where we just want to scratch our heads and say "WTF?" or worry that it's so bad someone else might try to imitate it.

Be glad we have other experienced members to offer their free advice. Sometimes it delivered good, sometimes it's not. Sometimes it's good advice. Sometimes you just need to say "OK, thanks." and move on.

Offer people advice. If they take it great, if not, so be it. It's their build.

If you don't like peoples advice, ignore it and move on.

There's no need to bicker back and forth about it.

jaymegriffiths

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

Photos like this will always draw criticism if you don't emphasize that your mocking something up and that it's not finished.

We see worse stuff where we just want to scratch our heads and say "WTF?" or worry that it's so bad someone else might try to imitate it.

Be glad we have other experienced members to offer their free advice. Sometimes it delivered good, sometimes it's not. Sometimes it's good advice. Sometimes you just need to say "OK, thanks." and move on.

Offer people advice. If they take it great, if not, so be it. It's their build.

If you don't like peoples advice, ignore it and move on.

There's no need to bicker back and forth about it.
bingo boys! nice truck, work is good, but the only reason its important that someone speak up and say hey, thats not very safe or good, and SUGGEST you change it is so people dont get the idea its fine. if you wanna run it feel free but dont trick other people into thinking its the right way.
your builds got potential and im interested to see how it turns out. keep pluggin away and more importantly learning!

NMB2

July 2010 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 V8
Transmission
Automatic
the only reason its important that someone speak up and say hey, thats not very safe or good, and SUGGEST you change it is so people dont get the idea its fine. if you wanna run it feel free but dont trick other people into thinking its the right way.
my point exactly. I just hate seeing people make mistakes early on when its EASY to fix. Its stupid to keep going and "find the weak points" when somebody who already knows the weak points speaks up. Especially when someone has put as much money into it as this guy has.

jaymegriffiths

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
my point exactly. I just hate seeing people make mistakes early on when its EASY to fix. Its stupid to keep going and "find the weak points" when somebody who already knows the weak points speaks up. Especially when someone has put as much money into it as this guy has.
no sense makin the same mistakes the last guy has.
im more concerned about peoplereading this and goin out and making the same bad ideas simply cause this guy thinks "itll be good"
but im not tryin to pick on the guy either. but truly enough, if ya dont want feedback dont show your work...

kroussinoffroad

OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ferd
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Disclaimer

O.K.

I think were beatin a dead horse

:icon_twisted: **DISCLAIMER** :icon_twisted:

If anyone copys any thing i do in this build thread and it breaks. i will not be held responsable.

"this is not my daily driver, nor my dedicated trail truck. i am further into dirt bike's now that i realized they handle alot more then a truck. the only thing i use the truck for is runnin to the corner store for smokes and or a cold beverage. and to get into the woods when weather turns nasty"

I dont think anyfurther posts need to be made about the poorley constructed crossmember/link brackets when the something is final i'll let you know. I dont even have the correct bolts holdin the arms on yet (notice no Nuts on anything)

I will be pickin up all the hardware tommorow all grade 8 with norlock lock washers.

I am thinkin i will need to drill out the factory jeep upper control arm bushings to accept a 1/2'' bolt rather than the factory 11mm IIRC.

the arms should be finnally mounted to the axle for good tommorow

NMB2

July 2010 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 V8
Transmission
Automatic
ill be waiting. Till then I agree. leave it alone.

Roger

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Looking forward to seeing this finished

liftedredranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
did you buy them long arms and how did you mount them to your truck

MAranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
245c.i.
Transmission
Manual
Rustys long arms with ballistic fab link brackets

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals