• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

94-97 5 speed

toolman60

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
Well I have found my brake clutch pedal assy. 92 Ranger. Found my 5 speed trans. 92 Ranger. Need to locate a driveshaft and crossmember. Then I will see if I can find a cpu for manual 3.0 92.

lowspeedpursuit

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B2300
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
If there's none in your yard, ECUs are common enough on Ebay, but '94 also doesn't care if you keep using the auto ECU, so I don't think it really matters until you get to EEC-V in '95. If you pull codes, you'll get torque converter and shift solenoids, but they don't set the CEL. Bit of a high idle is all, and there may be small differences in how the engine behaves when you push in the clutch.

Both of my M5ODs I had the seller leave the crossmember on there.

toolman60

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
lowspeed,

The seller does not have the cross member all he has is the transmission. So can you tell me if there is a difference in the cross members from auto to 5 speed and if there is a difference from 4 cyl to 3.0 cross member. Where the pedal assy is located it has a 4 cyl 5 speed and I going to get the pedals and the steering colum from it so I can grab that cross member if it is same.

I got to hit 2 different places to get trans. and clutch/ brake assy. So if I need to go to a 3rd no big deal.

lowspeedpursuit

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B2300
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'm only directly familiar with the 2.3L, so I don't want to steer you wrong on potential engine differences. My crossmembers (with the rubber bushings on the ends) did not change between auto/manual, or from '94-'97.

toolman60

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
My rear cross member does not have the rubber bushings. It bolts directly to frame like the old school mounts did.
1677268448217.png

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
The crossmembers should be the same, the 2.3L seems to be the only thing that came with the crossmember with the bushings.

toolman60

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
back from the pick an pull. Found a 96 3.0 5 speed transmission. The 96 has the 3 part transmission cross member with the rubber bushings on each end.

Managed to get the clutch/brake pedal assy. shifter boot and shifter cup holder ,and 5 speed trans tunnel plate out of a 92 and the clutch safety switch. Got the harness dropping down to the O2 sensors,VSS, reverse lights on transmission,got 2 speedometer gear assy, and the PRND black plate. Did not get the column as it did not have tilt,cruise but did get the shroud to see if it will cover the auto column after removing shift lever.

Will be going back in couple days to pull driveshaft out of a 92 5 speed super cab,it had a 2.3 motor that was gone and pull the trans. cross member out of the 96. Got to take my drill and cold chiesel and hammer to get the rivets out of frame.

All in all a good day cost so far 40$

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Good grab on all of the parts; you made out like a bandit for $40.

As you may already know, your truck should already have the clutch safety switch connector taped up to the harness behind the dash. Just unplug the jumper wires and then plug the connector it into the new safety switch.

I didn't have any luck on using the non-tilt covers for the tilt column. They're slightly different in length and differ in contour at the upper end to accommodate the movement of the trim over tilt section. It's worth looking at though; maybe you can come up with something.

Good luck!

toolman60

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
I throw that non tilt cover in trash then and look when I back up there in middle of week.

If the daughter can not learn to drive a 5 speed will be spending a ton of money on another truck or automatic for her. But at least I get the truck back on road for under 500$ this summer.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I can't figure how the 94 got with the 97 without bringing the 93 along, they are identical twins in the Ranger family

toolman60

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
I can't figure how the 94 got with the 97 without bringing the 93 along, they are identical twins in the Ranger family
The 94 I looked at the other day guy wanted to much for his 5 speed. The 94 I looked at today had a 4 cyl. I found the 92 super cab with 4 cyl 5 speed about 3 trucks down from the 94. So I pulled all I could from it to go on my 92 super cab 3.0 auto to manual conversion. Just need to go get the drive shaft from the pick and pull middle of week from there 92 supercab 5 speed for my conversion. Will also look to see if I can find column trim shroud from tilt to cover my auto column.

Then place my order for new clutch,flywheel,master and slave. Then wait for my son to have a free weekend or 2 or 3 to come help with the conversion.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Cool Toolman, I was only being curious about the 93, now I understand tho :)

toolman60

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
Heading back to pick and pull Wednesday. Will be taking my 10mm up to 22mm 1/2 drive sockets ,swivels,half mile of extensions. Other basic tools and of course prybar to lock driveshaft in place to remove it from rear end flange. Anyone know if I need anything else to pull the 5 speed from the Ranger.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I had to cut an exhaust on the last one I did, took a cordless sawzall

If you're going to go new master and slave you should certainly do the bleed outside the truck

If you hang it off a 6 or 8 ft ladder it almost does the bleed by itself.

This way requires worming the fluid line through the fender and frame which is not an easy task but still beats trying to bleed a stubborn setup that almost seems it doesn't want you to ;)

Last edited:

toolman60

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
Well back from pick an pull again. Under 300$ for 5 speed,driveshaft,shifter with or without the cup holder,floor plate for 5 speed. So now wait for more money to my pocket and order the new clutch,flywheel,clutch master assy and slave cylinder and 3 new Spicer U joints and center support bearing.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals