• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

94-97 5 speed

toolman60

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
I have not been able to narrow this down.

Can someone tell me if 5 Speed from a 94-97 3.0 Ranger will work in the 92 Ranger 3.0.

Doing an automatic to manual conversion. My main concern is the speedometer.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
I have not been able to narrow this down.

Can someone tell me if 5 Speed from a 94-97 3.0 Ranger will work in the 92 Ranger 3.0.

Doing an automatic to manual conversion. My main concern is the speedometer.
Up to 94 will probably work.

I think in 95 they began using the VSS electronic speedo that read the rear axle, instead of a cable speedo off the tailshaft of the trans.

So no.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
2wd or 4wd?

4wd speedo is in the t-case regardless. So if you've got a 4x4 truck... you're good to use any of them.

toolman60

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
No 2WD truck

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
The switch to the rear axle sensor was in '98 so you should be good there

toolman60

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
On doing this conversion I have couple of questions.

Does the truck that came from factory with auto. have a grommet, knock out hole in firewall for the master cylinder to pass thru.

I do not see 1 on my 92 firewall. And we have had a ton of rain so I have not went and looked at the donor truck.

Looks like the brake booster firewall support may be different on a auto vs manual?

lowspeedpursuit

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B2300
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
On the VSS, '95-'97 use the same gear-driven VSS as '94-down. They run the speedo off the electrics, rather than using a cable, but the underlying sensor is exactly the same, and you can attach a cable to it after swapping into an earlier truck.

On the firewall, my '94 auto had a clutch master cutout--and the booster+bracket were the same--but I can't speak to '92. I would assume it should have one, because the LUK CRS027 hydraulic system lists '92-'94 fitment, and used clutch pedal assemblies list '90 or '91-'94 fitment.

More importantly, if you were hoping to use one complete donor truck for everything, the master+pedals from '95-'97 will not work. There's a '94/'95 breakover with a completely different pedal assembly, which also changes the way the master attaches to the firewall.

toolman60

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
I can find plenty of manual 89-94/95 trucks but not with 3.0 so my clutch pedal assy will be from 89 to 92 I hope. My trans will be coming out a 95 3.0 5speed. Only thing now to do is wait for dry weather to go check out the donors. Only thing I may end up having to hunt down ib a driveshaft for my supercab 92 for a manual trans.
I will be buying all new clutch kit,master cylinder slave. I looked at the LUK stuff.

looks like 91-94 clutch/brake assembly works

Last edited:

toolman60

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
Ok folks.
Can anyone tell me if I can remove the complete steering column from the donor truck or do I need to take my steering wheel puller with me? Gathering up the tools to take with me. Got a 91 4cyl 5 speed I getting the clutch/brake pedal assy,shifter and floor plate from got a 95 or 96 can't remember year 3.0 5 speed donor transmission.

Anyone know if there was a difference between regularcab / supercab transmission cross member mounts? Both of these trucks are regular cab so still chasing down a driveshaft.

Thanks for any help input.
Tim

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
On the steering column, it depends on how you want to do it. I've seen some conversions where the auto shifter was simply hacksawed off, and that was it. When I converted my '92 Bronco II (same setup as your '92 Ranger), I wanted it as stock as possible afterward.

In my opinion, it would be easier to nab the whole steering column from the donor, and use it in your truck. While you're at it, nab the PRNDL block-off plate from the instrument cluster. With the steering column removed from your truck, it's also easier to do the pedal conversion.

Your original key cylinder is easily swapped into the donor column so your original keys still work.

On mine, the donor column was non-tilt, non-cruise and my original column was tilt with cruise. It wasn't that hard for me to build up a manual trans tilt column with cruise by swapping parts between the two columns.

It'll be like a new truck when you're done. Good luck!

lowspeedpursuit

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B2300
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
On columns, I unbolted the auto shifter and removed the cable, but I'm just driving around with the empty trim cutout for the shifter still. Unless you're swapping the column because the donor truck happens to have tilt, I don't remember there being auto/manual differences in the column itself, just the trim.

If you want to pull the wheel off the column for whatever reason, I've read about people needing pullers, but the two wheels I have ('93 and '95) basically just fell off after I zipped the big nut off.

I couldn't tell for sure from your post, but it's optimal to get the shifter with the trans. Can't remember the years, but there are breakovers where the orientation of the shifter relative to the stub changed. The floor plate is always basically the same.

toolman60

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
Ok will remember that about the shifter to come from transmission donor truck.. I was only changing the column to get rid of the auto shifter hole.

Do you know what the difference in the slave cylinders and clutch master cylinder were? Looks like a 95/96 trans. takes a different slave than a 92 trans.

The 92 donor has a 2.3 4 cyl. I can pull pedal assy from. I plan on new master cylinder,slave ,clutch assy. , but want to be sure the 92 master cylinder will connect to a newer slave 95 or 96 ( can't remember year) 3.0 5 speed.

lowspeedpursuit

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B2300
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Yeah, I'm seeing the same slave breakover at '92/'93, so that wouldn't have come up in my swap. I know there are slaves that use a hairpin clip to retain the line, and slaves that just push-in and remove with the white plastic sleeve, but I've attached both kinds of slaves to the same line, so the incompatability is based on something else internal that you can't necessarily see.

I feel like technically you only need the line to match the slave, and you can probably put whichever line on whichever master, but I would buy the '93-'94 master+line, or the LUK CRS027 specifically since it says '92-'94. I wouldn't install a used trans without replacing the slave.

toolman60

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
lowspeed,

Thanks for the info. Oh for sure it going in with new slave master clutch,flywheel,pilot bearing. Just waning to be sure when I do the Frankenstein transplants all it will work in the 92. I beginning to wonder if all this is worth the aggravation at the moment.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Any of the M5OD slave cylinders will physically bolt up to the transmission, the difference is in the quick connect fitting and the bleeder. You should just buy parts for your model year truck and not worry about buying parts for whatever year the donor is.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals