• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

94 4.0

thcscubajohn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
247ci
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4"
Tire Size
31x10.50r15
My credo
Smog is for pussies.
Hello,
I am going to do a complete Morana build on this engine, as well as various suspension and drivetrain modifications that I will make other threads for in their corresponding places. Reliable performance is the theme to this build. I am aware that I may save time money and hassle by just swapping in a V8, but I want this truck to be the best it can be with an OEM block. Everything will be assembled by me and according to Tom's expected gains, finished, the engine should yield around 500 ft lbs and ~400hp maybe a little less(with a M112 SC). However I don't know s*** about tuning. Reliability being key everything must be submergable. I can build it but what I want to hear from you is precautions I should take with the electrical systems to resist water, what I should do about the PCM, and this may be the wrong forum but I have had no luck finding a company that makes a manual transmission that will "bolt on" this build's expected completion date is 2024. So no rush I'm going to do a frame off restoration, new interior, wire harnesses, lines, bolts even, and powder coat everything for rust prevention. I can post a list of parts if requested but it is basically everything tom Morana makes for the 4.0 V6

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Spott

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Just a note: By more than doubling the horsepower generated by that engine block, you are absolutely not gaining any engine reliability.

You will be pushing the abilities of parts and systems very much beyond their design and significantly reducing the engineering margins, and this will result in greatly increased wear and tear, and greatly increased chance of failure.

I'm not saying that you're making a bad decision, but I'm stating emphatically that you will have a dramatic increase in the amount of maintenance and the risk of breakdown.

thcscubajohn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
247ci
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4"
Tire Size
31x10.50r15
My credo
Smog is for pussies.
Just a note: By more than doubling the horsepower generated by that engine block, you are absolutely not gaining any engine reliability.

You will be pushing the abilities of parts and systems very much beyond their design and significantly reducing the engineering margins, and this will result in greatly increased wear and tear, and greatly increased chance of failure.

I'm not saying that you're making a bad decision, but I'm stating emphatically that you will have a dramatic increase in the amount of maintenance and the risk of breakdown.
I've considered what you are saying and have built race engines in the past and have found that the block was never an issue, this was Pontiac v8s though, and I feel and hope that the cast iron ford block will behave the same. But if the block which is the only part carried over fails then I will opt to put in an old 351

thcscubajohn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
247ci
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4"
Tire Size
31x10.50r15
My credo
Smog is for pussies.
I also should have stated that the supercharger is up in the air and may not be installed and if it is it will be at a low boost. Naturally aspirated may be my choice but the decision will be made when the decision has to be made

Spott

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I've considered what you are saying and have built race engines in the past and have found that the block was never an issue, this was Pontiac v8s though, and I feel and hope that the cast iron ford block will behave the same. But if the block which is the only part carried over fails then I will opt to put in an old 351

It's not specifically the block that will be affected, but the engine system as a whole.

But, as you indicate you've built high-performance engines in the past, then I'm sure you're familiar with the increased maintenance needs, and have factored that into your plans.

Sounds like a fun project!

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If you look up the word Reliable then there should be a picture of the Cologne 4.0l OHV engine there, it really was one of Fords better engines, good power and reliable, V6 version of the 302

One flaw is the head casting/design, and no way to fix it, the heads did crack between the valve seats when engine got too hot.
That would be my only concern about a "build" for extra power, you pretty much have to raise the cylinder temps when you raise power output.
So get the biggest water pump they make to circulate coolant, lol.

Might even look at that "waterless coolant": https://www.evanscoolant.com/

thcscubajohn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
247ci
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4"
Tire Size
31x10.50r15
My credo
Smog is for pussies.
The heads are not stock Morana makes heavy duty heads and there stage 3s are:
STAGE #3:*
With the purchase of these heads, our best street porting job, larger replacement intake and exhaust valves, heavy duty springs OHV $1,700.00 per set*

ProjectMiniBeast

Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
235/75r15
I plan on adding and Eaton M112 supercharger to a 4.0L that I will be swapping in to my 91 Ranger that currently has a 2.9 auto. A 5 speed, manual tcase and 8.8 swap is in works to! My goal is 190 HP so I will for sure be following this build.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals