• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

94 4.0 Torque converter lock up all over the place

Mackhedq

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
If youre gonna be dumb you gotta be tough
So I have a 94 4.0, the TC lock up is all over the place with no rhyme or reason. The transmission is new so I know there's no issues with it.

What I'm experiencing is sometimes driving I'll have OD and TC lock up above 50ish like it should. Shifts just fine and then it will unlock and no TC anymore. Still OD but it won't lock up.

Another issue which is probably related is when my fog/running are on I won't have TC lock up either.

Both these issues I've been chasing for a long time. I've managed to work around them with the TC lock up switch.

Mackhedq

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Well if anyone is wondering I replaced the throttle position sensor, coolent temp sensor and the brake light switch but nothing changed. Then I replaced the oil pressure sender because it's just always been bad and the T/c lock up works again. It must have been feeding enough voltage into the engine to trip up my sensors. Also my gas mileage improved greatly because I fixed my leaky intake boot. There were pinholes all over the ribbed sections.
0408221718_HDR.jpg

rumblecloud

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Splash
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1-1/2 inch front leveling
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
31/10.50/15
My credo
What's the worst that could happen?
Well...I'm wondering...but not about your fix -- although that is a helpful one.
I have a 94, 4.0L auto, 4x4 and have no Torque Converter (TC) switch or Traction control (TC) switch - at least I don't think I do. Can you post a pic of the switch you're talking about?
Thanks.
r

EDIT: Ok did some reading. Sorry, I'm not that familiar with locking torque converters. Is yours and aftermarket addition?
This is what I found in the Tech Library:

"A4LD – The C3 was modified into the A4LD 4-speed automatic by adding an overdrive gear, which the C3 lacked. This was the first Ford automatic to use an EEC-controlled torque converter lock-up clutch. Electronic shift control for the 3–4 shift was later added, another first, though other gears remained hydraulic. It was replaced by the 4R44E and 4R55E in 1995. The A4LD is a weak transmission, and is known to fail in offroading (4×4) applications. "

I don't go off-roading and my trans is holding up pretty well at 214,000 - knock on wood.

Last edited:

Mackhedq

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Well...I'm wondering...but not about your fix -- although that is a helpful one.
I have a 94, 4.0L auto, 4x4 and have no Torque Converter (TC) switch or Traction control (TC) switch - at least I don't think I do. Can you post a pic of the switch you're talking about?
Thanks.
r

EDIT: Ok did some reading. Sorry, I'm not that familiar with locking torque converters. Is yours and aftermarket addition?
This is what I found in the Tech Library:

"A4LD – The C3 was modified into the A4LD 4-speed automatic by adding an overdrive gear, which the C3 lacked. This was the first Ford automatic to use an EEC-controlled torque converter lock-up clutch. Electronic shift control for the 3–4 shift was later added, another first, though other gears remained hydraulic. It was replaced by the 4R44E and 4R55E in 1995. The A4LD is a weak transmission, and is known to fail in offroading (4×4) applications. "

I don't go off-roading and my trans is holding up pretty well at 214,000 - knock on wood.

The A4LD locks up the T/c to for lower rpms and less loss in the drivetrain. It only does it during 3-4 gear when basically cruising. Easy way to see if it works is cruise at 60mph. Then slowly roll on the throttle and you should see your rpms hold until the truck unlocks the t/c and then they'll climb. Here's the lock up switch tech if you want to read into it. It's useful for towing or long highway stretches.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals