• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

94 4.0 Ranger OBD-I code 172

DavidTC3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
I recently got my engine replaced in my ranger. After I got it back the check engine light came on. It would come on and go off. I got it scanned by the guy that replaced the engine and he said it was the o2 sensors. I replaced both of them and it still came on. Only now it stays on instead of going off. I bought a thirty dollar OBD-I scanner and scanned it myself. It's pulling 172 which is a lean code. I checked for vacuum leaks but not very thoroughly. I haven't really checked for exhaust leaks or anything else. I've read that it could be something to do with fuel pressure or airflow. Ive put a good bit of money into this and that on the truck in the last month and I'm tired of throwing parts at it. I've got a thirty day warranty on the motor and really want to figure this out and make sure it doesn't have to do with the engine itself. Also it hasn't been getting the mileage that it was getting before I had the engine swapped. I only know of two o2 sensors and I'm not sure if they're different from one another cause they're both upstream of the catalytic converter. I have two weeks left on the warranty... So yeah. Thanks in advance for any help and advice. :icon_confused:

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I believe there is 3- O2 sensors.
Two before the CAT and one after.
It could be the post CAT sensor.

But,I'm not sure if that would throw a 172 code.
We I had an intermittent CEL like that it was a a lose O2 sensor.
That caused a exhaust leak right at the sensor.

DavidTC3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
I believe there is 3- O2 sensors.
Two before the CAT and one after.
It could be the post CAT sensor.

But,I'm not sure if that would throw a 172 code.
We I had an intermittent CEL like that it was a a lose O2 sensor.
That caused a exhaust leak right at the sensor.
I was told that it only had two o2 sensors so that's all I looked for at the time. I'll look again later on when I get home and post back again thanks!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals