• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

94 4.0 Ranger donor to swap into 83 ranger

freddicoe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
v6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
standard
Tire Size
31s
My credo
if it's there I just gotta do it [ obsessively ]
So I have a standard cab 7' bed Ranger 5spd mt 2.8l 4x4 and I have a 94 standard cab 7' bed 4.0l 4x4 donor and I want to swap bed, front end,[axle ,steering ,and suspension ] and motor from the donor. My question is can I use fuel tank and complete wiring starting with ecu and complete wire harness in the cab and engine compartment and even put the dash and steering column in my 83? Can I swap all these parts successfully ? I would rather swap all of this instead of trying to cut and modify my wiring and even to the point of swapping inner fenders and vacuum acctuaters and vacuum plumbing? It just seem like it would go smoother and be easier to do a complete swap out. Have any of you ever done a project in this way successfully or what may be some thoughts or suggestions about doing it this way?

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Maybe I'm not seeing this right... why not just fix the 94?

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Maybe I'm not seeing this right... why not just fix the 94?
He prefers the first gen body style? And the 94 is probably Dana35 vs 83 probably Dana28?

I think most of that will swap kinda ok. Not sure about the dash. Might be some drilling and cutting if some of the bracketry is slightly different. Depends on your skill level and commitment.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Well I seen bed and front end... thought he was swapping the body?

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
Because those are for ta ghhezz....

It's very doable, not perfectly bolt for bolt but you can swap the e brake carriage and make a tab for the passenger side lower dash bolts and layover a strap to mimic the windshield side fasteners.....

You have to use the whole dash....and make a hole for the bullet connector firewall pass through.

The 94 wiring most likely is better all around because it's 10 years newer....and a way easier system to work with. It only takes a few minutes to pull the dash and wiring. The 83 to mid 88 dash and wiring is a Trainwreck comparatively.

The pedel hanger and steering setup is a bit different along with the clutch setup....but all workable. Often it's easier to cut and section the donor firewall pieces of That area of firewall..

Seen it done many times and have done it a few times to move the steering over for big blocks using 97 stuff in the gen 1.

You can even do it without welding if you have the good sense God give a grasshopper.

freddicoe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
v6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
standard
Tire Size
31s
My credo
I love my 83 and I got a classic license plate registration for it but I want to update and modify a few things my passenger side tire has a lean to it so I decided to up grade to the newer larger front end and my 83 got t-boned in the driver side bed, I fixxed it, but its full of bondo. I got my doner ,perfect body but motor has bad rings for $175. I dont think I could have gotten any better of a deal. I dont know if I need to change the transmission for the ecu though because of the electronic 4x4. I dont know if the ecu needs to see elect switch or if manual 4x4 will be ok. I thank you guys for you feed back it really eases my mind Im thinking that it shouldnt be a problem to change the fuel tank for the pressurized pump when I switch beds. For now Im just going to change the front end until I rebuild donor motor.[ my current motor starts and runs great for now] oh and another reason for the front end is power steering has a terribly bad leak. I call my truck the rocking red ranger because I love 4x4ing and I took the rear window out and built a box for it containing two 6x9s and a 12" sub so its my rockin red ranger. I put an old 6' alum canopy on the 7' bed and the box sits out the window a foot so at a distance people mistake it for an X-cab [lol] but I truly love my standard cab gen -1 ranger

freddicoe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
v6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
standard
Tire Size
31s
My credo
My other truck is 92 f150 5 spd 5.0l 4x4 stepside ZIA edition perfect condition X-cab two modifications 1st mod. second battery with isolator, 2nd mod, I removed back seat and built a bench so its still usable for a seat but under the bench holds 2 15" full range and a 12" sub now I can rock my world on or off the road in my favorite kind of ride FORD 4X4 YEAH!!

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
I love my 83 and I got a classic license plate registration for it but I want to update and modify a few things my passenger side tire has a lean to it so I decided to up grade to the newer larger front end and my 83 got t-boned in the driver side bed, I fixxed it, but its full of bondo. I got my doner ,perfect body but motor has bad rings for $175. I dont think I could have gotten any better of a deal. I dont know if I need to change the transmission for the ecu though because of the electronic 4x4. I dont know if the ecu needs to see elect switch or if manual 4x4 will be ok. I thank you guys for you feed back it really eases my mind Im thinking that it shouldnt be a problem to change the fuel tank for the pressurized pump when I switch beds. For now Im just going to change the front end until I rebuild donor motor.[ my current motor starts and runs great for now] oh and another reason for the front end is power steering has a terribly bad leak. I call my truck the rocking red ranger because I love 4x4ing and I took the rear window out and built a box for it containing two 6x9s and a 12" sub so its my rockin red ranger. I put an old 6' alum canopy on the 7' bed and the box sits out the window a foot so at a distance people mistake it for an X-cab [lol] but I truly love my standard cab gen -1 ranger
The ecu doesn’t have anything to do with your electric transfer case. Neither one knows that the other exists.

freddicoe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
v6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
standard
Tire Size
31s
My credo
that works for me saves on having to do more mods like changing tranny crossmembers. The mods I already have to do are going to consume more of my off road time than I want to give up, but I know I will have a better truck and enjoyable time for doing them

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals