• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

94 4.0 Questions

sd359

Law Enforcement
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Tire Size
31/10-50
I have a 94 4x4 manual transmission Ranger extended cab built in 11/94. The truck has 214,000 miles on it. I have a 4.0 that came out of another 94 Ranger built in 9/94. The engine in the truck has lost some hp and I believe has a small leak in the head gasket. If put under load, after driving and stop when I restart it stumbles for a few seconds then runs fine, usually after pulling lawn mower trailer. My extra 4.0 has 100,000 on it but was changed due to heating problems. I have no idea what the problem was as to why they changed motors. I pulled the heads today to see if had a cracked head or blown head gasket, nothing stood out as problem, gaskets looked good and could not see any cracks in the heads, pistons all looked relatively the same. I will have the heads checked before I put them back on. Now my question is if the blocks are not interchangeable, how do I have a 95TM block with 93TM heads and it appears to have the smaller dish type pistons. These are late year models so they installed 90-94 model heads on a 95 block and put in a 94 truck. I believe the engine in the truck is the same, it has the 93TM heads but I can't see the block casting in the truck. So my plan was to use the extra to replace my motor. I was going to rework heads and leave shortblock as is, just clean and makes sure bottom end looks good as well as timimg chain and guides. Does anyone know of a reason this why this swap will not work?

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Swap will work fine

sd359

Law Enforcement
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Tire Size
31/10-50
Thanks for the info RonD

Biggfoot44

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 2wd
Transmission
Automatic
Not related to the primary question , but a truck mfg 12/94 ( and undoubtedly 9/94) will be a 1995 model year .

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals