• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

94 4.0 overheating problem and whats the next step?

Red Thunder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I recently bout a 94 4.0 ranger with 150,000 miles. I soon discovered that the engine runs hot, and frequently overheats. I had it looked at, and the mechanic told me one of the cylinder heads is cracked and is allowing air to enter the cooling system causing a vapor lock. Taking into account the age of the engine, is it worth changing just the heads or should I consider a swap?

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
What evidence did he provide? Are you sure it isn't a stopped up radiator? I found mine to have a blind spot which can't be seen by normal means, almost requires pulling it out, which I did only after mine began to leak and replaced it. Near the bottom at the front (that part is hiding behind the AC Evaporator) it was so stopped up with old dirt was hard to believe

enginepaul

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995, 2001, 200
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I recently bout a 94 4.0 ranger with 150,000 miles. I soon discovered that the engine runs hot, and frequently overheats. I had it looked at, and the mechanic told me one of the cylinder heads is cracked and is allowing air to enter the cooling system causing a vapor lock. Taking into account the age of the engine, is it worth changing just the heads or should I consider a swap?
There is a misunderstanding here because vapor lock is a fuel delivery problem. If air is getting in, then steam (or water) is getting out when it is warmed up. I'd guess water pimp and/or radiator. Drain your radiator and look at the coolant as it come out for starters.
People are sayig the 4.0 can last 300,000 miles but we don't know how yours was maintained or driven so I can't help on the replacement question. (I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area so I spend a LOT of time at idle and stop and go traffic so 150,000 is a lot to me.)

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Do the glove test... search it on the site.

I've always tested with a pressure tester... look for a steady climb in pressure... or blowing up the latex glove. That would indicate combustion chamber pressure leaking into the cooling system.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals