• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

94 3.1L pcm problem?

ForzdaManger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
mazda
Transmission
Manual
Hello all!, Recently bought a 1994 mazda b2300 4 cyl 2.3L. After about 2 weeks the check engine light came on and stayed on. The truck then started to bog down and have no power sometimes. (not always) I used my scanner and got o2 sensor, maf sensor, restricted egr flow, and failure in cid circuit. I replaced the o2, Maf, egr pressure differential feedback sensor and tried to clean the egr system. Ran scanner and then only got failure in cid circuit, voltage not what expected at egr pdf sensor, and failed low rpm test. I installed Camshaft Position Sensor and the check engine light went out and she drove much better. I Then cleared codes. Now Check engine light will come on and off while i drive. I ran the scanner again and now all the same old codes o2, maf, that are already fixed. The haynes repair manual says to check voltage of the EGR PDF sensor and it should be between 5 and 6 but i was at around 12. It says if not between 5 and 6 the problem is most likely the PCM. This morning I started her up and drove to work i noticed the presets on the radio had been reset like the battery had died. So here is my questions. Do you think i have a pcm problem or wiring problem? What would cause the radio to reset?
The haynes book shows the PCM as being under hood on passenger firewall. On my truck the EGR PDF sensor is there. What is going on?

Last edited:

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I can't help. But I've always thought that for Mazda's that the numbers correspond to engine size. So the 2300 is a 2.3 liter. Maybe that might change how you diagnose the problem.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

ForzdaManger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
mazda
Transmission
Manual
im sorry. It is indeed 2.3L that was me doing too many things at once.

ForzdaManger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
mazda
Transmission
Manual
I found what appears to be the pcm under hood on drivers side on firewall next to fender. When I was doing research on locations, I saw something that looks like a computer on the inside of passenger compartment under the ashtray. What is this?

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Not my forte, but I think "gem module "

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
I thought the PCM was on the pass side under the hood; but, I can't remember. They did move them around some.

The gem (google) is someplace around the radio and does a lot. But, nothing on the engine.

I think I would put this question in the general section and hope RonD takes a look at it.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Ron is on holidays for 3 weeks. It wouldn't hurt to put it up on general. My 93 PCM is on drivers side engine compartment firewall.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals