• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

94 2.3 Turbo Conversion Build

duhafnusa4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 2.3
Transmission
Manual
Hi Everyone!

I am new to TRS forums, but not turbocharging vehicles (built an XR4Ti back in the day) I am helping my friend who wants to learn about turbos and whatnot.

Plans:

1994 Ranger 2.3 5 Speed
Buying 88 thunderbird engine and ecu (will be installing quarterhorse pcb for live tuning and data logging
Wideband, boost, egt, etc... for monitoring
HY35 on stock ported manifold (I actually want a bit of lag to reduce shock to driveline) and tial external wastegate (both hood exit)
6 puck clutch
custom fmic
rotated intake manifold
external oil cooler
short shifter
ridetech 4/5 suspension kit
16x8/9 staggered wheel setup with falken azenis tires
Big brakes of some sort (maybe exploder 2 piston) but looking into stoptech or smth else also

We are getting the truck on Sunday.

brakes and suspension and maintenance first (fluids, bushings, cleaning etc....)
Boosting the stock motor and showing him what sh1t pistons do under high boost (hoping for a gaping hole in block)
in the meantime refresh the 88 motor and then swap it in

It should be fun and informative for my friend (he hasn't done really anything so ill be teaching him a suspension, brakes, engine tuning etc...)

Ill post pics as we go. Also going to do dyno tests with a stock engine. Turbo stock engine (stock 88 turbo ECU and turbocharger) Turbo stock engine (Holset), then built engine (stock turbo/holset)

Let me know if you want to see anything in particular

Car will be doing autox/hillclimb/drag/friday night streets :D

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
You can do a 95-97 Ranger front brake swap to gain the twin piston calipers. Google search "95-97 Ranger brake upgrade"

You'll need the 95-97 knuckles, caliper brackets, calipers, rotors and some brake hoses, etc..

Once swapped to the 95-97 knuckles, you can then make your own brackets to space the calipers out and use larger Sport Trac rotors. Or buy an expensive kit ready to bolt on, using Wilwood parts, like this one: http://www.tceperformanceproducts.com/no-title/kits-57/

duhafnusa4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 2.3
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the information. Ill check it out. Any links for reman/new spindles?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals