• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

93 v6 4.0 ranger

josh4223

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Hello came here for some help have a issue with my ranger running rich basicly choking itself out. Have changed the fuel injectors map sensor coolant temp sensor fuel pressure regulator fuel pump assembly and o2 sensors but it is still choking itself out black smoke coming from exaust pipe as well. I thought maybe a ecm problem possibly? Also have changed the motor as well and same problem so I'm at a loss. I hope you all can help thank you in advance.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
I A C valve possibly? thats what acts as a “choke” on efi fords. Mine came unplugged (locking tab on connector broke) and I had to keep my foot on the gas pedal to keep it running until it warmed up a bit. Fixed it with a few zip-ties. Dont overlook the air filter, would have to be extremely dirty but I suppose it’s possible.

josh4223

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I have replaced that as well but I'll double check all connections are good. Was thinking maybe ecm has a code stuck in it but I don't know how to reset the ecm.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

If you can test fuel pressure first that would be best, 30-40psi running is expected

But with all your changes it will be harder to diagnose, "new part" just means NEVER EVER tested part, lol, 40 years ago it could have meant "working and tested" but not anymore

So with hard evidence of correct fuel pressure then you would be left with PCM(ECU)
Pull it out and open it up, should be nice and clean inside
There are 3 radial capacitors, blue or black, that can leak/fail, under $5 to replace, common issue after they get 20 years old
But could just be PCM failure
You can use a 1993 or 1994 PCM from 4.0l Ranger with matching transmission, PCMs are made differently for manual trans or automatics
2WD or 4x4 doesn't matter
And your 1993 shouldn't have Cam sensor or EGR valve unless it was from Calif. originally

car-part.com
Its a good place to look for used part in your area
"Computer Box engine" is what you want
Use your zipcode of course
Search

Then it will ask for specifics, engine size and MT or AT
On your PCM's label there will be a part number, the last 2 letters are what you want to match but do NOT need to match in 1993/4 models

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals