• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

93 transfer case swap

Kmort

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
I have a 93 4wd manual, will an electric transfer case from an explorer sport swap over and bolt up to my manual linkage? The transmission im running now is from the same doner the case is.

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.
Welcome to the site.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Yes. It will. You will need the control module for it and the selector buttons/switch and wiring harnesses. I imagine the rear drive shaft should be fine. Front should work if it has the same kind of input as what you're running now. Ie; flange or splined slip joint.

Depending on what's wrong with your manual transfer case, there are probably people around here that would be interested in it or, at least the shifter and linkage assembly.

Kmort

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
Yes. It will. You will need the control module for it and the selector buttons/switch and wiring harnesses. I imagine the rear drive shaft should be fine. Front should work if it has the same kind of input as what you're running now. Ie; flange or splined slip joint.

Depending on what's wrong with your manual transfer case, there are probably people around here that would be interested in it or, at least the shifter and linkage assembly.
I was wanting to remove the electronics (shift motor) from the new case and connect my manual linkage. I guess my big question would be is the shifting shaft the same.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
I was wanting to remove the electronics (shift motor) from the new case and connect my manual linkage. I guess my big question would be is the shifting shaft the same.
I don't think that will work. The electric cases shift differently.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
No, it won't work as a manual shift

The BW1354E(electric) and BW1354M(manual) have different cases and internal shifting mechanisms, so even "conversion" is not a practical option

Keep looking for a manual transfer case, and you need a 1997 or older to get the speedometer cable hookup needed in 1993 Ranger, that hookup was dropped in 1998 and up BW1354E and M

A BW1350M will also work, 1990 and earlier, although drive shaft hook ups changed, but not hard to match those up

Last edited:

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
What’s wrong with your current transfer case? 95% of the E-shift parts will fit the manual shift case... you may just be able to fix the one you have.

Kmort

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
No, it won't work as a manual shift

The BW1354E(electric) and BW1354M(manual) have different cases and internal shifting mechanisms, so even "conversion" is not a practical option

Keep looking for a manual transfer case, and you need a 1997 or older to get the speedometer cable hookup needed in 1993 Ranger, that hookup was dropped in 1998 and up BW1354E and M

A BW1350M will also work, 1990 and earlier, although drive shaft hook ups changed, but not hard to match those up
Thanks for the info my search continues.

Kmort

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
What’s wrong with your current transfer case? 95% of the E-shift parts will fit the manual shift case... you may just be able to fix the one you have.
It popped last time I used 4wd now it feels like its inbetween gears, and anytime you try to put any power to the wheels it slips bad and makes a growling noise. A friend told me to lock the trans up 1 to 1 in 4th gear and if it still did it the case was the problem. Probably one of the aluminum shifting forks.

snoranger

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
It popped last time I used 4wd now it feels like its inbetween gears, and anytime you try to put any power to the wheels it slips bad and makes a growling noise. A friend told me to lock the trans up 1 to 1 in 4th gear and if it still did it the case was the problem. Probably one of the aluminum shifting forks.
The gears, forks, and chain are the same between the manual and electric shift versions. The part that moves the forks and the case are the only real difference. If you can get an E-shift cheap enough, rib the parts out of to fix yours.

Kmort

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
The gears, forks, and chain are the same between the manual and electric shift versions. The part that moves the forks and the case are the only real difference. If you can get an E-shift cheap enough, rib the parts out of to fix yours.
Thanks for the info thats what im going to do i can get it cheap ( 50 bucks and a case of beer 😂) already got the trans and front suspension, diff,drive line ect... From it. Will be my first time opening up a transfer case.but got to learn sometime.

snoranger

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Thanks for the info thats what im going to do i can get it cheap ( 50 bucks and a case of beer 😂) already got the trans and front suspension, diff,drive line ect... From it. Will be my first time opening up a transfer case.but got to learn sometime.
They’re not very complicated.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals