• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

93 Ranger loses power when warmed up.

Hyme

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
93 Ranger loses power.

I recently bought a 93 Ranger with a 4 cyl engine and a manual trans. It only has 89,000, but I have replaced many parts including the clutch, plugs, tires, muffler, etc. I have had nothing but problems with this truck, and continue to do so. The latest problem is that it loses power after it warms up. It has no pickup when I shift through all the gears. It's especially bad in 5th. I have a hard time picking it up past 55! I have also noticed that once its warmed up, it sounds louder. Not sure why this is happening, but any help will be greatly appreciated. By the way, I thought it may have had something to do with the catalytic converter. It turns out, however, that the previous owner took out the catalytic and just ran a pipe straight through the muffler. Thanks.

Last edited:

graff104

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Have you tried pulling the codes yet? There is a very good article in the tech section about that. I would start there first.

Numerous things come to mind. When was the last time you did a full tune up? Cap rotor plugs and wires. Fuel and air filter. Oil change and filter. Also is the truck getting hot? A radiator flush may be needed.

wizkid00104

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994/2002
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L/5.4L
Transmission
Manual
I have heard 4 cylinders do funny things with no back pressure (the cat). You may also want to check the intake temperature sensor. I can feel a difference in my truck depending on incoming air temperature. If there was a crack or something, it is on the same side as the header and the heat from the exhaust may be causing it. You also may want to clean your mass air flow sensor and check your O2 sensor as well. Just some thoughts. Keep in mind too that these engines are not powerful. They may run forever, but they are not going to get you anywhere fast. I only have decent pick up in 1st and 2nd above 2000 rpm. The engine will get the job done, but you aren't going to win any speed races. I'd be surprised if mine does 0 - 60 in under 15 seconds.

Hyme

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
This is what I have done to the truck since i bought it a month ago:

1. Installed new plugs and wires (Bosch)
2. Installed new muffler (the previous owner took out the cat. converter, so it doesn't have one)
3. New clutch kit.
4. New fuel filter.
5. New transmission fluid.
6. New fuel pump with sender.

I recently took it to a mechanic. He said the truck was fine and it didnt need any repairs. I told him the truck was running good the first week I had it. Then, it suddenly stopped losing its power. I really do think there is something wrong with it. The difference from the way it ran before is too much. I was thinking that maybe it had something to do with the coil. What do you guys think? I;m running out of options.

Hyme

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual

locovaca

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If your car starts, it's connected. A FI engine would not run without a computer.

Hyme

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
UPDATE: I just made an interesting observation. Whenever the oil pressure gauge is slightly towards the L, the truck loses power. When it is right in the middle, it runs great! The needle needs to be right smack in the middle. Between the R and the M of NORMAL. My question is, what is causing the oil pressure to drop sometimes?

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
The pressure is not dropping, the electrical connection is failing. You should check the grounds from the engine to the chassis and cab. If the ground is corroded, it may be dumbing down the computer -- and the spark and the injectors will follow.
tom

Hyme

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
That makes alot of sense. I wonder if the radio is causing some sort of short. Sometimes there is a loud static noise that comes out of the left speaker. I mean really loud. It has happened at least 3 times when I'm driving. It scared the crap out of me! It looks like someone worked on that particular door as well. The interior door panel is loose. A short will also explain why the fuel gauge does not work. I just wouldnt know where to start to check for a short. Any ideas? I was thinking of removing the radio fuse to see what happens.

Beanmachine7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
BTW - You don't have an oil pressure gauge... It doesn't actually read pressure...

Beanmachine7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
That oil pressure is normal... As long as it's above a certain threshold your needle will stay in the middle... Otherwise it drops to the bottom...

Hyme

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Ok. Got it. Thanks. You have any ideas on how to start looking for the ground or short electrical problem?

Steve_bama

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
Did you ever figure out the problem? I have a 1993 ranger doing exactly the same thing. the header also gets red hot when it is pitching one of these fits.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals