• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

93 Ranger engine swap with a different year engine !!!

RonSerling

Reaction score
High in the mountains of San Bernardino National F
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
ummmmm 4" could be 6 but its a TTB and the little bugger varies from time to time !! LOL
Tire Size
33/12.5 15
Good day All,
I have a 93 Ranger 4.0 4X4 with 780K miles on it. It has been a great truck but as time goes on the engine has gotten quite tired out. I am looking at replacing it and a friend has a 99 that got t-boned but the engine in it is in great shape with only 98K miles on it and runs well. In looking over his and comparing to mine it looks as if his top end is completely different. His has a poly type intake with an egr where as mine has aluminum intake no egr and a set of Cal compliant headers on it but other than that they look the same. Question here is can I remove and replace his poly egr system with my aluminum one and will it work ??? Are the intake systems interchangeable without any major modifications and if there are any mods needed what would they be ?? I would appreciate any info that would help me make this decision as I want to do the swap as soon as possible. Thanks Edit - OK I may have confused the situation here a bit !! What I am asking is are the long blocks the same, not including the SOHC engine, whereas will all the accessories and the intake from the 93 bolt on to the 99 engine in the same manner ? Are all the sensors in the same locations ?? Will the motor mounts from my 93 bolt on to the 99 long block correctly??

Last edited:

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
Systems are totally different.

Swap it all.

RonSerling

Reaction score
High in the mountains of San Bernardino National F
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
ummmmm 4" could be 6 but its a TTB and the little bugger varies from time to time !! LOL
Tire Size
33/12.5 15
Systems are totally different.

Swap it all.
Ok I am not sure what you mean !! Swap all what ?? I cant use the egr system on my truck as it would mean I would have to change the complete wiring harness to go along with it and that doesn't shake out to well here in California !!! My question is can I change the intake system and use my aluminum one on the newer motor ??

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
Ok I am not sure what you mean !! Swap all what ?? I cant use the egr system on my truck as it would mean I would have to change the complete wiring harness to go along with it and that doesn't shake out to well here in California !!! My question is can I change the intake system and use my aluminum one on the newer motor ??

Fitting the entire system from a newer rig is fine.

If it's an ohv..it will not run the same as your current engine. The 4.0 was under constant revision. The heads are different and may change emissions status...or may be fine with your old system. If you were non smog I would say try it...prepare for detonation though.

Lots of spark knock with oem tune when I crossed those configurations.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals