• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Bill4's 93 ranger

Bill4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
Tire Size
35x12.50r15
My credo
Use what you got.. not what you want
Dodge hubs and brakes
Chevy spindles and stubs are the same as dodge

Bill4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
Tire Size
35x12.50r15
My credo
Finally getting more stuff done!
The 4.56 gears were just not cutting it with the 3.0 I figured If I'm going to put gears it I might as well get rid of the jeep 8.25 I had in the back.
After digging thru my pile of axles I had a few options to consider Explorer 8.8, f150 8.8, chevy 12 bolt, toyota 8", or f150 9"
The 8.8 can't be geared as low as my dana 44 can so they were out. The toyota gear ratios are weird so its out. That left me with thr 12 bolt or the 9 inch. I ended up choosing the 9 inch because used lockers from Nascars are dirt cheap.
Just got it put in and test drove it today. With 5.38 gears. Finally it has power.
I also replace my leaf springs with 2wd f150 springs part# 43-883 they provided about 3 inches of lift. 99 f250 shocks and I was able to drop down to 1.5 inch blocks.
While I had it in the shop I did an electric fan swap and Saginaw P series pump conversion.
I already had a fan out of a Durango that I made fit. Also already had the saginaw pump in the barn. No idea what is from but its the 80s style fitting type. I used the PSC MB03K bracket, Pully from a 93 pontiac transport and pressure line from a 93 e250. The power steering in fantastic. So much better.
Pictures to come later

Bill4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
Tire Size
35x12.50r15
My credo
Here is the power steering pump bracket I cobbled up. Seems fine, time will tell

Attachments

Bill4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
Tire Size
35x12.50r15
My credo
Here is the locker and gears I bought used as well has the nodular third member required for the racing locker's larger bearings.

Attachments

Bill4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
Tire Size
35x12.50r15
My credo
Here is the picture of the axle in the truck.
As you can see the shocks don't match.
Yes I got a good price on them and yes I'm that cheap. The brakes are 94 4wd ram rotors with 89 dodge d150 calipers and pads.

Attachments

Bill4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
Tire Size
35x12.50r15
My credo
And finally a picture of the truck as it sits now. Tires are just whatever 35s i had around hopefully be getting new ones soonish

Attachments

Bill4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
Tire Size
35x12.50r15
My credo
After my test drive yesterday I determined the master cylinder was to small. I read a post on Midwestnomads about a project lone ranger doing a swap out of a 99 ram 4x4 gas. Lucky me in parting out a 99 ram! followed the inductions in his post its pretty much a direct swap just have to shorten the rod 1/8 inch. Fittings all hooked right back up. Brakes are great now.

Attachments

97Ranger3.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4"
Tire Size
33x12.5
After my test drive yesterday I determined the master cylinder was to small. I read a post on Midwestnomads about a project lone ranger doing a swap out of a 99 ram 4x4 gas. Lucky me in parting out a 99 ram! followed the inductions in his post its pretty much a direct swap just have to shorten the rod 1/8 inch. Fittings all hooked right back up. Brakes are great now.
I'm surprised there's so much info on here about doing the 85 F350 master swap but none about this one. The F350 master swap seems far more complicated considering our Rangers use metric fittings, and the F350 master does not, plus the ports are on the opposite side of the master and it needs to be modified to even bolt onto the booster.

That being said, I looked up the article you're referring to about the swap. Was there anything you had to do other than modify the pushrod? I know with the F350 master swap people say you have to swap the lines front to rear compared to the stock MC for it to work correctly. Did you have to do that with this MC? From my research it looks like the 99 Dodge 2500 master uses the same size metric fittings as the stock Ranger, so if you don't have to swap them like you do with the F350, that would be the closest to a bolt on upgrade possible I think.

Bill4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
Tire Size
35x12.50r15
My credo
Nope just shortened the rod 1/8 inch then threaded it all the way in. Other than that it's plug and play. No need to swap lines around.

Bill4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
Tire Size
35x12.50r15
My credo
More updates coming soon. Engine is starting to go at 340000 miles. Valve sticks when it gets warm. Bought a 3.0 from a 92 tempo with 90k on it but the junk yard couldn't find it. Ended up with one from a 86 Taurus with 74k miles. $165 changing head gaskets, timing cover gaskets and oil pan gasket. Found a ranger lower intake in the barn so i should be able to have it almost fully assembled before I tear into my truck.
The next big project on it is a transmission conversion. All the parts are in going to start mocking if up soon. The plan is to put a dodge nv4500 behind the little 3.0. I know it's heavy but The first gear is much lower and It will open me up to more tcase options down the road. Oh and I already had one laying around.

Bill4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
Tire Size
35x12.50r15
My credo
Hit a snag with the new engine. Oil Pan bolt pattern is different. I'm planning on using the Taurus oil pan anyhow but a gasket is proving to be a challenge. Parts stores in town can't get it. Amazon has it but it's a few days out. I didn't know they ever changed the pattern.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals