• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

93 Ranger 4.0 Misfire Issue

85spraybomb

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Just picked up a 93 X Cab 5spd 4.0 4WD.
Truck was "described" as running good.
Picked up the truck and noticed when i hear it at idle it has a miss..at first im thinking plugs and wires,so i checked them they were gapped good and all of them were clean...wires good too.I also noticed that the coolant was low,i talked to the previous owner and he said he had to add coolant a few weeks ago as well.Now im starting to believe this truck has cracked heads.
Any ideas,suggestions,advice?
If they are cracked heads,where is the BEST place to get NEW ones?
And how hard of a job is it to do myself?ive done most of my own work on my vehicles,changed clutches in my old rangers(97 5spd 4.0 4wd,92 STX 5spd 4.0 4WD),done other regular maintenance on my vehicles as well.
Thanks guys

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
junkyard? doing head work is pretty straight forward, at the age of 15 i did a head job on a ranger. just pay attention to how it came apart. if your not sure. then take pictures. when you tighten down the head bolts make sure you do it in sync like the tech library says. never use a used head gasket. label all the wires/plugs as "aa AA", "bb BB", so on so forth. theres a bit more tips some one else could probably give you. but thats what i got from the top of my head

FY549

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
If you think it the head-------Get you a can of K&W BLOCK SEAL and do like the can says and it will fix it------Fix 5 toyota heads this way

Brownie Mobile

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If you think it the head-------Get you a can of K&W BLOCK SEAL and do like the can says and it will fix it------Fix 5 toyota heads this way
Is that the stuff that costs like 40 bucks a bottle? Around here you can get heads for cheaper than that just takes the time.

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Id guess the gaskets, not the heads or block, its enough water to kill yourignition. But your only losing coolant every few weeks, means its minor rightnow. Swap the head gaskets, an while the heads are offtake them and have them magnafluxed to check for cracks. (Unless they are aluminum) pull your sparks plugs to get a read on them.

85spraybomb

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Ok so i went out on a whim and changed the plugs,got the factory motorcraft plugs,made sure they were gapped correctly and now theres no misfire at all.
BUT, its still using coolant,i monitor it weekly and just add to the radiator when needed.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad