• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

93 Ranger 4,0 Losing Coolant no leaks?

85spraybomb

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Just picked up my 93 Ranger 4.0 4WD 5spd on saturday,had a very bad misfire which made me think it had cracked heads because its using alot of coolant.
Well it turned out to be bad plugs,so i changed the plugs and the misfire is gone.
Now the problem is that it is using a lot of coolant.I put a full jug in on monday and it was empty on Wednesday. Any ideas as to why it would be using this much coolant? I Don't see any leaks anywhere and there is no smoke coming out of the exhaust.When i changed the plugs the old ones didnt have any hint of a green color which lead me to believe its not burning coolant.
If anyone has any help or suggestions i would greatly appreciate it.
Thank you
-Kenny D

steve01

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
97-99
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4l
Transmission
Automatic
I had a 3.0 that only leaked from the weep hole on the water pump while I was driving but wouldn't leak while setting still or when cool. I found the leek by all the green crust around the hole and the trail down the pump. You may want to also have a look at the heater control valve. I've seen problems with that also.

Last edited:

509lifted

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l, 4.0 v6
Transmission
Manual
my buddies subaru wrx had a really bad leak when he was driving and when he would stop so would the leak the only way we found it was by having him get in and start it up and hit the gas he had a small pin hole in his hose that would leak a gallon every day from driving

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
I had the same thing happen on my Explorer. It was losing coolant slowly, but nothing hit the ground. It was the intake manifold gasket leaking.

EDIT: Look on the front (radiator side) of the drivers side head/lower intake. It's common to blow right there.

Last edited:

PRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I had a 3.0 that only leaked from the weep hole on the water pump while I was driving but wouldn't leak while setting still or when cool. I found the leek by all the green crust around the hole and the trail down the pump. You may want to also have a look at the heater control valve. I've seen problems with that also.
Definitely check the heater control valve. could be dripping onto the intake manifold and burns it and wont leave you with much a trace

RangerBoy94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
360CDI
Transmission
Automatic
I had a bad hose clamp that was leaking coolant. Check your hoses and clams real good

Redneckryder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok, since nobody asked.....what does your oil look like? If it looks like chocolate milk, and your crankcase is full, there is your problem.....

FY549

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
it's sounds like yhe water pump

85spraybomb

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Oil is clean and I've checked everywhere and I cant find any leaks.
There isn't any signs of any leaks at all.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
dont know if this would apply to the 4.0 but i had a '93 3.0 taurus that leaked coolant between the timing cover & the block, water pump was only a couple of years old. new set of gaskets and it was good to go. not sure if the design of the 4.0 is like the 3.0, so this may be irrelavant but thought id mention it on the chance that it could be similar.

Redneckryder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Here is something else....I have the same truck as you....93, 4.0 5speed.....I got a freeze plug leaking. Might wanna check those.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals