• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

93 Ranger 3.0 standard xlt no fuel

telsar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
After the hurricane here in Houston my truck no start. It has no fuel pressure in the fuel rail. I am just starting to troubleshoot this. I am looking at the schematic at BBB industries and am just wondering if anyone knows where the:

inertia fuel cutoff switch

is on a 93 ranger.

Thanks. My truck never got flooded or anything. The pump has been replaced a number of years ago and I am just starting to troubleshoot this. I hope its not the fuel pump again.

Thanks

update: I lifted my bed to get to it. I jumpered across the relay putting 12.68 volts back to the fuel pump. I measure 8.3 volts on the red wire on the connector that hooks to the fuel pump with the connector unplugged. So where did the 12.68 volts go?

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Inertia switch is in passenger side of cab just under glove box and above carpet, it was also placed in passenger kick panel toward the top on some years.

The computer monitors fuel pump voltage status
This monitor circuit will show 5 to 7 volts with key on fuel pump relay OPEN, I suppose it could show 8volts, depends on the meter.

You put a jumper in fuel pump relay socket to test voltage, did you test with KEY OFF, if not you may have jumpered the wrong slots.
Fuel pump fuse has power 24/7, all the time, so key on/off doesn't effect it, so test with KEY OFF

In 1993 the wire from inertia switch to Fuel pump will be Pink with Black stripe
Fuel pump uses Black wire for Ground

Fuel SENDER uses Orange wire for Ground, or a Black with yellow stripe
Yellow/white stripe with Pulsed 5 Volts, but only with key on

Last edited:

telsar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Its fixed now. Was an after-market addon theft deterent switch spliced in at the inertia fuel cutoff switch. I just plugged it straight back the way it started and it worked. So now I am putting the bed and liner and tailgate back on. The ODB1 scanner showed a 542: secondary fuel pump circuit fault. I guess the ecm could see the voltage drop and would not activate the relay via the ground switch from the ecm. The 542 sent me straight to that inertia switch which is on the passenger side under the carpet on the middle of the firewall inside the truck.

telsar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Resistance. You've got a bad/corroded connection along the wire. Did the pump run when you jumped it?
I was about to. I dug my wire stuff out and had my jumper cable when my wife told me to use the scanner on it, which I just bought a month or so ago. Had no idea the ecm monitored that circuit and would not activate the relay if it looked bad. I was imagining a weird ecm issue until it flagged that fault.

Thanks

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals