• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

93 Ranger 3.0 distributor problem

3.0 Distributor alignment

• Rotor postion #1

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • TDC without a timing index marker (broken off)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

TomTom59

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Last Monday on the way to work the Ranger shut off on the freeway. Had it towed home and looked it over. The rotor wasn't turning when the engine was cranked. I pulled the distributor (have never done this before on any vehicle) and found two worn teeth on the drive gear. (The bushings are worn and the rotor had so much slop the toothed inverted wheel that triggers the PIP hall sensor was hitting the sensor.) Got a rebuilt unit and installed it.

After I had owned this truck for a good while I discovered that someone had managed to break off the timing index marker. This has made it very tough to figure out TDC. Tried the finger-over-#1-spark-plug-hole but don't know where the rotor is supposed to be pointing when #1 fires. I marked the firewall directly inline with the PIP socket so I know the distributor housing is sitting in the position it should be in. The first time I tried it, it wanted to almost backfire through the exhaust so I moved the rotor 180 degrees and tried again. It cranks but does not start nor does it try to backfire anymore. Strong spark. I may have shifted the spark plug wires one place all the way around, don't know (in relationship to the vent cap on top) what wire goes where. I could use good photos of the rotor position ready to fire #1, and a diagram showing the distributor wire numbering including the vent.

I'm lost and don't know how to proceed. What I wouldn't give for a mechanic buddy right about now! My back is telling me I spent too much time today lying across the engine working on the distributor. Everything is tough to get to for sure.

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I don't think 3.0L's ever had TDC marks. I have a reference picture I can dig up. Standby

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Well I have reference pictures for a distributorless 3.0L with the crank sensor on front. Does yours have a crank sensor?

TomTom59

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
No crank sensor...

No crank sensor except for the PIP sensor in the distributor. 94 and up has them (a major source of trouble with them flying apart and destroying the engine), I'm glad NOT to have one.

Rather then TDC marks I was referring to the "gauge" with lines and numbers on it where you read the timing using a strobe gun. The mark on the harmonic balancer is there. The timing reference is broken off. Not sure if that was part of the timing cover or cast as part of the block.

This was always a good running engine. Had the transmission rebuilt about 2 years ago and the guy who test drove it before the work came back and said "That truck has a lot of power." Never heard anyone accuse the 3.0 of having a lot of power. It gets an honest 29-30 mpg highway. I've no idea of the true amount of miles on it. My brother bought it second hand and the odometer had already rolled over. He passed away and I ended up with it. Could have 207,000 on it now. I've changed the oil and filter every 5k and kept up with all maintenance, never abused, neglected or used to tow.

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals