• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

93 Chevy surburban transmission failure?

D.J.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
V-6
Transmission
Manual
My Cousin has a 1993 Chevy surb bought usedand was driving along saturday in snow and he said while going around a curve in the road it was just as though it went into nuetral and wouldn't pull anymore. Do this type of automatic transmissions just fail that quick? He pulled to side of road and said he shifted into all gears and the engine just revs as though it is in nuetral and will not pull in any gear! Any ideas where to start?:icon_confused:

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
4L60e or 4L80e?

any transmission codes?

did you check to see if the transfer case might have popped into neutral?

on the spec sticker in the glove box it will M30 for a 4L60e, MT1 for 4L80e

this sticker will have alot of number codes on it with no definitions ...... so one of those codes will be somewhere on the sticker.

Last edited:

D.J.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
V-6
Transmission
Manual
I will have to find out and get back to you with the answer! O yea the transfer case is still in gear and he tried it in 4L 4H and 2wd. I have'nt had a chance to look at it yet.

Last edited:

trail B2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have a 93 6.5 with a 4l80e.The tranny quite on a vacation pulling a 30' trailer like 250 miles from home.I drove the last little bit in first gear but it got me all the way home.In my opinion Ford had nothing as good as a 4l80e in that era.Somebody did see if there's still fluid in the tranny right?

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
I have a 93 6.5 with a 4l80e.The tranny quite on a vacation pulling a 30' trailer like 250 miles from home.I drove the last little bit in first gear but it got me all the way home.In my opinion Ford had nothing as good as a 4l80e in that era.Somebody did see if there's still fluid in the tranny right?
it could be low ..... but it would be slipping long before it just all of a sudden quit....... Unless he blew a cooler line ..... that will empty the transmission as quick as you can this will empty the transmission........

sounds like a sensor issue ........ although ...... not going into limp home mode is odd ......

We need the tranny codes (if any) and I need to know which transmission it is so I know which guy to refer you too..

D.J.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
V-6
Transmission
Manual
Yes had enough fluid in it according to him. Didn't go into limp home mode and had to be pulled in the last eight miles to home. I'm like you guys thinking it didn't start slipping or anything just went out all of a sudden. Normally all mine that went out exibited some signs of going out, slipping, or not shifting correctly, failure to go into reverse, or a the very least pulling in 1st gear only, etc.I will see if I can check the codes tommorrow night after work and post some more info on it! :icon_confused:

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Yes had enough fluid in it according to him. Didn't go into limp home mode and had to be pulled in the last eight miles to home. I'm like you guys thinking it didn't start slipping or anything just went out all of a sudden. Normally all mine that went out exibited some signs of going out, slipping, or not shifting correctly, failure to go into reverse, or a the very least pulling in 1st gear only, etc.I will see if I can check the codes tommorrow night after work and post some more info on it! :icon_confused:

something happened to kick the transmission into neutral....... is there alot of noise ........ maybe a broken flex plate or a busted input shaft.

D.J.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
V-6
Transmission
Manual
on the spec sticker in the glove box it had MXO M30, So I guess it is a 4L60e, Your right it had alot of number codes on it with no definitions ...... so what now?

mattpresley

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD F-250
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
he can buy my 2003 silverado 2500HD?

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
on the spec sticker in the glove box it had MXO M30, So I guess it is a 4L60e, Your right it had alot of number codes on it with no definitions ...... so what now?

I go ask the 4L80e guy if he knows the 4L60E because the 1/2 ton guru I know hasn't posted in a month.... thats what he (your cousin) has is a 1/2 ton transmission.......

still need any transmission codes that pop up.

also, can they start the engine ...... that would rule out a broken flex plate, pull the inspection cover from the bottom of the bell housing and look for signs of a broken shaft..... pull the pan and take the filter off and look for obvious damage..

Last edited:

D.J.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
V-6
Transmission
Manual
Ok I forgot about the codes when I checked the glovebox codes and went by the AM to check the codes, but the OBD plug is different from the one I had borrowed. Did 1993 have a different style plug for the OBD connection?
:icon_confused::sad:

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Ok I forgot about the codes when I checked the glovebox codes and went by the AM to check the codes, but the OBD plug is different from the one I had borrowed. Did 1993 have a different style plug for the OBD connection?
:icon_confused::sad:
got absolutely no idea. on my 94 Silverado it is under the dash panels, behind the hood release.... offset away from the door a little.

D.J.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
V-6
Transmission
Manual
Their now has been a mechanic look at it and he says their is no pressure when the cooler lines are removed from the transmission, I don't have a clue which end he removed the radiator or the transmission, but I'd guess the radiator end? Any more suggestions?
:D

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
I think you need to pull the transmission..... a total pump failure is very odd. Or he blew a cooler line and the mechanic should have looked for that.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals