• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

93-95 OBDI jet chip

GoGoggansGo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Just wondering is the Jet chip for my 93 4.0 any good?:icon_thumby:
I have heard both good and bad. Any info with be greatly appreciated thanks

Last edited:

daniel3507

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I've hears mostly bad things about it. I know hypertech makes one but have not heard much on it

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

GoGoggansGo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I've hears mostly bad things about it. I know hypertech makes one but have not heard much on it

your right they do but where would you intall it, and what gain info that wasn't listed. Both of which I would really like to know

GoGoggansGo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

I got a hold of hypertech, and with my mods there tuner will not work here is what they said quote.
Steven

If you have a ton of mods you'll not be able to use our Power Module. Our tuning is designed around a stock vehicle, no problem with a cat back exhaust or air intake systems and minor bolt on items. Premium octane fuel must be used no less than 91 and we recommend 93 where available. On our stock vehicle used for testing we gained approximately 12hp and 19tq additional power. The Power Module goes into the service port located on the end of the computer opposite where the wiring harness connnects.
Damn it I really wanted one too

Gotta_gofast

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
6.0L Powerstroke
Transmission
Automatic
You will have to pull your computer out and strip the protective "clear coat" off of the laminated board of the J3 test port. Ford completely disconnected the J3 port on some computers so even if you can strip the coating off to contact fresh conductor, the computer may never know it.

It is much better to get an SCT "switch chip" and have an SCT certified dyno tuner burn a few programs onto it. While its a little overkill for the mods you have, if you were to run a high performance camshaft or set your motor up for a turbo then getting some dyno time is worth the money/time.

GoGoggansGo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You will have to pull your computer out and strip the protective "clear coat" off of the laminated board of the J3 test port. Ford completely disconnected the J3 port on some computers so even if you can strip the coating off to contact fresh conductor, the computer may never know it.

It is much better to get an SCT "switch chip" and have an SCT certified dyno tuner burn a few programs onto it. While its a little overkill for the mods you have, if you were to run a high performance camshaft or set your motor up for a turbo then getting some dyno time is worth the money/time.
The dyno place in chicago quoted me at 450 for everything dynotime sct tuner chip conversion everything. I am going to take auto body/ paint classes because I am going to repaint my baby. But next summer you bet you ass I am going

daniel3507

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I didnt realize OBDI system could be tuned like that

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
ive been running the jet chip a while now. i have headers, full 2.5 exhaust, gutted cats, "upgraded"coil, ported throttle body, full 3" intake, and a mass airflow sensor from a 4.6 econoline van. oh and not to mention a 3" hole through the bottom of the airbox into the wheel well. the chip made it shit at hire rpms, along with the chip and the new ignition coil and wires the power is much smoother. truck seems to run better with the chip

Chaser812

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I got a hold of hypertech, and with my mods there tuner will not work here is what they said quote.
Steven

If you have a ton of mods you'll not be able to use our Power Module. Our tuning is designed around a stock vehicle, no problem with a cat back exhaust or air intake systems and minor bolt on items. Premium octane fuel must be used no less than 91 and we recommend 93 where available. On our stock vehicle used for testing we gained approximately 12hp and 19tq additional power. The Power Module goes into the service port located on the end of the computer opposite where the wiring harness connnects.
Damn it I really wanted one too
i actually bought a hypertech power controll module for my 94 ranger with 4.0, (which is for sale on craigs list by the way, its brand new) spent the money just to test it out and after a week i started my v8 swap so have no use for it anymore... contact me if intersted in (part# 648711)....
but to answer question i did notice some positive improvements in performance so no complaints. when i called hypertech they told me the same thing word for word

Chaser812

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
i actually bought a hypertech power controll module for my 94 ranger with 4.0, (which is for sale on craigs list by the way, its brand new) spent the money just to test it out and after a week i started my v8 swap so have no use for it anymore... contact me if intersted in (part# 648711)....
but to answer question i did notice some positive improvements in performance so no complaints. when i called hypertech they told me the same thing word for word
the computer on the obd I model trucks held in by two bolts just to the side of brake booster closest to fender in its on cubby hole if u will the only thing exposed under hood or the test ports. pretty easy job to do

Last edited:

94Reborn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I had a jet chip on my 94 2.3. It helped a bit, with some other mods like you mentioned (exhaust, intake, high flow mass airflow sensor) but on a 2.3 theres only so much to gain. On a 4.0 I would imagine it would make a difference, even if it didn't, knowing you did it will make you think its better. Depending on the price, I'd say a 10 hp gain for 200 bucks would be a good deal if you don't mind running mid and premium grade gas.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals