• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

93 4 banger quits

351ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000 ranger 2.5
Transmission
Automatic
Anyone have a problem with their 4 cyl ranger just quiting and not starting back up til a couple hrs later? It's getting fuel its not the fuel pump or filter. I'm leaning towards a coil pack. What do ya think?

Bryan22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 extd
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
94 2.3
Transmission
Manual
need some more info, how long do you drive before it happens? only on hot days or cold days or rainy days? anything that you can think of that happens just before it quits? Personally i'd have the ICM tested. and you can test the coil packs with a multimeter.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
did it spit and sputter before it konked out? I would guess ignition module or crank sensor, when mine konked out it was the crank sensor. with the dual plug engines, if one coil pack dies, the engine would still run fine but would only start if the bad coil pack was the drivers side one, and the ignition module is most prone to heat failure

351ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000 ranger 2.5
Transmission
Automatic
It's only happened twice. The first time I let it run in the driveway for about 10 minutes and went out to drive it and put it in reverse and let out the clutch and bam it stalled and would not start, let it sit a few hrs and it started. It was kinda cold out maybe 40 degrees. The second time it happened it was 6 degrees out and I was sitting a a light, light turned green and went to take off and it just died. No spitting or spuddering. Let it sit until I got outta work and it started right up and drove it home. The truck has 210,000 miles on it. Thoughts?

351ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000 ranger 2.5
Transmission
Automatic
So crank sensor? Would it start back up with a bad crank sensor? No check engine light comes on or anything. Really would like to get this figured out without throwing a ton of money at it. Crank sensor or ignition module? Calling anyone for help!!

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
If you take the ignition module off an auto parts store should be able to test it. When my crank sensor went, at first it would be a random misfire, this went on for a few hundred miles, then one day while driving it just died, wouldn't start for like 4 hours then drove me the 40 miles home, would start up then crap out again shortly. The first thing I tried was a coil pack (I'm running DIS with only 4 plugs), then ignition module with no change then crank sensor and that solved it.

To change the crank sensor, the easiest way is to unplug it (the plug in is under the intake manifold) then pull all 4 wires out of the connector, this way you can slide the wires up behind the timing belt cover instead of having to take apart the WHOLE front end of the engine... I would suggest a junk yard sensor so you don't spend $150 troubleshooting

351ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000 ranger 2.5
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks scott. I'll give that a try.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals