• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

93 2.3 timing belt replacement

351ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000 ranger 2.5
Transmission
Automatic
Is it possible to advance the timing by a tooth when changing the timing belt? I bought the truck from my brother and he had replaced the belt and since then it seems like the slowest truck on the planet, also sputters on idle with good plugs. Thinking of advancing a tooth if it would help. Thanks for any help.:beer:

Bryan22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 extd
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
94 2.3
Transmission
Manual
If you mean to advance the valve timing purposely to try to get the truck running better, the answer is no. Unless you get a different cam gear to make slight changes. I think one tooth turns out to be about 8 degrees. But, it is possible your brother has the belt off a tooth and that is why it's running like crap.

351ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000 ranger 2.5
Transmission
Automatic
I trust that he had the timing correct. It doesnt run that bad just has a slight miss at idle. But it is SLOW. Guess I'm just used to driving v8s. It also has 220000 miles so that may have something to do with it. I was told by a guy that you could advance it a tooth but not someone I would trust. Thanks for the help!

dorman68

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Is it possible to advance the timing by a tooth when changing the timing belt? I bought the truck from my brother and he had replaced the belt and since then it seems like the slowest truck on the planet, also sputters on idle with good plugs. Thinking of advancing a tooth if it would help. Thanks for any help.:beer:
I agree with you. It is slower than dog-dirt, I tried to advance mine a tooth when I did the timing belt 2 years ago and I did not like the way it idled so I changed it back. It did seem to have slightly better acceleration though.

351ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000 ranger 2.5
Transmission
Automatic
I agree with you. It is slower than dog-dirt, I tried to advance mine a tooth when I did the timing belt 2 years ago and I did not like the way it idled so I changed it back. It did seem to have slightly better acceleration though.
So it didn't idle good? Idle high, low, or had a miss?

dorman68

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
So it didn't idle good? Idle high, low, or had a miss?
The idle seemed a little on the lower side, not really all that bad as far as rpms are concerned. The thing that bothered me was the roughness of the idle, it felt like it had a miss even though it didn't have one.

RedRyder97

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 3;73 rear end 22mpg
Transmission
Manual
I have a 97 that I got a new belt on about 8 months ago. I have a 5 speed . My most noticeable think is between shifts or just taking off from first where its at idle and Im letting the clutch out . Once the engine gets up a little over 1600 or so rpm theirs no miss and it has the power. Just that stumble or slight miss when shifting. Mine also has 220k on it I have a 45 min ride to work and I dont have a problem hitting 80 at all. Id love to find out how to get rid of this stumble in acceleration. PS I did take pics of my timing belt marks.

351ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000 ranger 2.5
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 97 that I got a new belt on about 8 months ago. I have a 5 speed . My most noticeable think is between shifts or just taking off from first where its at idle and Im letting the clutch out . Once the engine gets up a little over 1600 or so rpm theirs no miss and it has the power. Just that stumble or slight miss when shifting. Mine also has 220k on it I have a 45 min ride to work and I dont have a problem hitting 80 at all. Id love to find out how to get rid of this stumble in acceleration. PS I did take pics of my timing belt marks.
Sounds about exactly like what mine is doing. Go to let the clutch out in first and it just doesn't seem like it wants to move unless I ride the clutch a little. just powerless. Mine doesnt miss at all except at idle a little.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals