• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

92 Supercab 2wd Suspension questions (Mustang II Front)

freebird01

Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Ok so i have been doing some reading here and there and i have some questions.

As the title states i have a 92 scab 2wd 3.0 v6 auto. The v6 runs ok but the trans decided to blow a seal. i've been wanting to V8 swap it and picked up a 302 and an AOD and plan on doing that in the near future. I also picked up a 3.73LSD 8.8 from a 2000 Mountie for the back end.

I've been on the hedge on what to do with this truck beyond the engine swap...either SAS it and 4x4 or drop it and go with a more pro touring/pro street look. Im leaning more towards the street version (hence the post in the mini truck forum).

Since i will have the engine and trans out i thought i might go through the trouble of putting a mustang II front suspension under it and ditching the I beams. I can buy the plans and build my own cross member...i can buy all the A-arms and brakes, etc.

What my question is... Has anyone on here done it.. what would my ride height look like on the front? (pics of a completed truck would be helpful). What springs/coilovers are you running? How did you connect the factory steering column to the mustang II steering rack?

If i put the 8.8 in spring under (i understand it will be appx 4" drop with the original ranger rear springs) how would it sit in comparison with the mustang II suspension?

Eventually i will look at doing something more sophisticated in the rear but with the engine out, that would be the time to do the front end.

tylerhertz10

Reaction score
I wanna do the same thing I’ve got my truck torn down right now. I live in North Carolina right outside mooresville and there’s a race car surplus parts store that sells everything you could think of. I’m gonna put truck arms in the back with coil overs and I’m stuck trying to figure out what to do about the front. Really wanna do a arms but haven’t figured out how to go about it yet or what parts to use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tylerhertz10

Reaction score
Got a 302 with afr heads and t5 with all the goodies to put it in after I figure out the rest of suspension.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
It's not a Mustang II suspension, but there is a company out there that sales a kit for installing a later style mustang suspension in a Ranger. I think it was fox style k-member and arms? It's been a while since I saw it, but I think the company was AJE suspension. You'll have to do a little searching for more info, I didn't pay much attention because it wasn't something I was interested in doing.

Not quite what you were asking about, just thought it might be an interesting option for you.

tylerhertz10

Reaction score
Would be nice to have that but I think I’m just gonna fab up my own a arm kit. I’m a welder/fabricator and have a full machine shop at my disposal. In the next few weeks I will have more info and pics.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
Has anyone tried grafting a 98 or later front frame clip with SLA in place of the twin I beam setup?

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
just use the sla chassis.

m2, aerostar and welded crown vic i have seen the most.

these days custom is much more common.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals