• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

92 Ranger Turn Signal bugs

Alistar1776

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
So, I'm stumped. Passenger side turn signal works great, both headlights on and off. With headlights/running lights off on the driver side, i get only the front signal. With headlights/running lights on, on the driver side, I get no turn signal at all, and the indicator on the dash remains constant on.
Bulbs are new all the way around, multifunction switch replaced, fuses are good, relay is new. When i have the lights off so the driver front flashes, its dim, and inconsistent. All help appreciated.

Edit: I should also mention hazards work except for driver rear.

Weasel

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Transmission
Automatic
Check the voltage to the lights when in the various situations to see what level of voltage it is getting at the lights vs the light side of the relay, and the voltage before the relay. Check for resistance as well. If there is an issue with that (shorting) it could lower the voltage to the lights below what they need, when also trying to deliver sufficient power to the other lights.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I move this over to the lighting forum...

First clue is your left indicator being on... flashes but dim is another good one.

When things go wacky in the lighting system... especially if you have dim light and turn indicator on... you will find your problem is a bad ground. Front light system ground is on the core support I don't remember exactly where the rear lamp ground is but I want to say on the rear crossmember.

Another thing that is always suspect is rear lamp harness connector and any kind of trailer wiring.

I would be surprised if you didn't find your problem in the two areas I mentioned.

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.
Do you have an aftermarket trailer harness?

Alistar1776

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I move this over to the lighting forum...

First clue is your left indicator being on... flashes but dim is another good one.

When things go wacky in the lighting system... especially if you have dim light and turn indicator on... you will find your problem is a bad ground. Front light system ground is on the core support I don't remember exactly where the rear lamp ground is but I want to say on the rear crossmember.

Another thing that is always suspect is rear lamp harness connector and any kind of trailer wiring.

I would be surprised if you didn't find your problem in the two areas I mentioned.
Noted. Ill check those areas and post if I find anything.

Alistar1776

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Do you have an aftermarket trailer harness?
Not to my knowledge. If it does, it was installed by previous owner some 10 years ago lol.

Alistar1776

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Update: Ive gone thru and cleaned any ground i could find, then proceeded with testing with a test light. Fancy one, also gives me voltage readings :D anyway, i digress. Passenger side signal socket still has factory wire loom, so great for comparison. Functions as normal, brown wire runs constant on for running light, white with blue line flashes for turn signal, and black wire that I could see did anything at all at least on the test light. probably not good enough contact. Anyway, Driver side socket had been replaced by previous owner, as it was spliced in place. when headlights are off and turn signal only, green with white pulses, as well as black, i assume black is ground. With running lights/headlights on, I read constant power thru all three wires. 14v thru Brown and black, only 11.5 to 12v thru the signal wire. This is including the driver side signal on.

My theories are, there could be a short in the socket, or the headlight switch could have a short in it.

Let me know what you all think, and I appreciate the help. I hope I gave enough detail.

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.
Were the light bulbs in the sockets? You should not see any power on the black (ground wire) unless the bulb is installed and the circuit is completed.

Alistar1776

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Were the light bulbs in the sockets? You should not see any power on the black (ground wire) unless the bulb is installed and the circuit is completed.
Bulbs were in the sockets, yes

Edit: and in the problem socket, I did see power thru black, only when running lights/headlights were on.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Driver side socket had been replaced by previous owner, as it was spliced in place.
Redo the splices, in a proper manner, and consider putting in a new replacement socket when you do.

Most people simply can't make a good, permanent wire splice, and NEVER use scotch-lok type connectors (they barely work, and will corrode).

Alistar1776

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Redo the splices, in a proper manner, and consider putting in a new replacement socket when you do.

Most people simply can't make a good, permanent wire splice, and NEVER use scotch-lok type connectors (they barely work, and will corrode).
Noted. And I learned the hard way on those scotch-lock connectors, used one when I installed a tach in the truck. Only worked about a week before breaking the connection.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
If you're measuring any voltage at all (more than one volt) between the black wire and the frame/body under any circumstance, then that is your culprit right there (open ground connection, as was said above). Definitely check those splices (ideal would be to solder them back together).

Weasel

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Transmission
Automatic
Redo the splices and test again. If the results are favorable then have a beer and make the splices permanent with the recommended soldering, enclosed in shrink wrap. Ensure to tie off any wire to something sturdy to reduce movement. Have second beer.

Alistar1776

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Redo the splices and test again. If the results are favorable then have a beer and make the splices permanent with the recommended soldering, enclosed in shrink wrap. Ensure to tie off any wire to something sturdy to reduce movement. Have second beer.
will do. Itll be a project for this weekend, so ill be a few days till my next update in the thread.

Alistar1776

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Update: swapped in another socket on the driver side, still the same issue as before. could it be the switch in on the dash? its one that pulls out a click for dash and running lights, and a second click for headlights

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals