• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

92 Ranger question.

Hitch

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have a 92 Ranger 3.0 V-6 2 wheel drive with a A4LD, shifts fine but it does not go into overdrive. It only shifts 2 times and I can't feel the converter lock up if it has a lock up. It was like this when I bought don't know how long it's been like this. It has no over drive button on the shifter but the indicator has 2 drives one with a circle around it that I run it in. Any suggestions.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
The drive without a circle is for when you don't need or want overdrive. The one with the circle allows overdrive.

As far as not locking up, it could be any one or a combination of issues. I would check the wiring to start with. I had a truck like that once, turned out the wiring running down to the transmission had contacted the exhaust and melted. I unplugged the transmission and pulled the wires up topside for a repair. One at a time I cut out the damaged wire and spliced in a new piece with solder and heat shrink. Then I made sure to secure the wires away from the exhaust.

Could also be a failed vacuum modulator or a vacuum leak or internal damage or...

Sent from my kite using a trebuchet

Transman304

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chrysler PT
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
If you can’t fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem
Check fuses first. These transmissions have a solenoid for OD on the valve body that is famous for failing.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals