• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

92 Ranger 5.0 swap questions

Jerlaine

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok so I have a 1992 extended cab Ranger. Its had repeated issues since I've bought it and I've decided a v8 swap might just answer all my problems.
That said I'm looking at a 2 different 92 f150's and a 95 f150 that woukd all be a good candidate for the swap.
My current question is would the engine harness from the f150 plug into the ranger harness? And if so would the f150 ecm plug into the ranger cab harness?

Elutheros

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'm pretty certain the F150 harness can be used but you must change the ECU (PCM)in the Ranger for a V8 version. The 60 pin harness was used for those year models (for the cars and I think trucks were the same). If I had it to do over again I would have used the Explorer PCM(100? pins) with the Explorer harness just to give easier tuning options. I used the A9L PCM and a Grand Marquis harness which needed major splicing to put the PCM in the original location. Also, I assume you are going to use EFI with those truck engines--and the truck intake is too tall for the engine bay but the Explorer intake will work.

Short answer: NO those two harnesses (Ranger & F150) will not connect to each other to do what you want.

Jerlaine

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Awesome that actually answers my question for me!

Acgallen

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0 306
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Awesome that actually answers my question for me!
Im currently doing the swap now, what did you end up going with? Im thinking of going to the junkyard and getting the Ecu, Computer and Harness from the same year bronco (already have the engine). My really only concern is do i have to mess with the lights and all the other electric if im doing a complete ECU/Computer swap.

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
You could goto a mass air flow harness from a mustang. It was 11 wire to merge for my 1990 ranger 5.0 swap using a 90 mass air harness. Plus you can do alot with those computers. Are you using a manual or auto?

Acgallen

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0 306
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
You could goto a mass air flow harness from a mustang. It was 11 wire to merge for my 1990 ranger 5.0 swap using a 90 mass air harness. Plus you can do alot with those computers. Are you using a manual or auto?
I'm going to buy a T5 probably off Craigslist or a junkyard. So it would be easier to take a harness off a mustang? If it would take 11 wires, where would I find a mass air flow harness lol. Assuming I have a A9L and the harness would it be attaching it in?

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
You have to merge your mustang engine harness with the fuel pump relay and some other stuff on the body harness. You can buy them on ebay or my buddy parts out mustangs and would have them most likely. We are in central Pa. But anyway you are going to need both wiring diagrams.

I dont think the injector harness or a9l is included from these guys but gives you an idea ill message my friend and see how much he would want for all 3 he is reasonable.

I spoke to him PM me for contact and price.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals