• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

92 ranger 4.0 liter.

PierreP

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'm stomped. My ranger was idling rough and running extremely rich, leaving black sooth on the ground. Since everything else seem to check out fine I decided to change the crank sensor... After doing so I could not start the engine, so decided to put the old one back on, still won't start. I changed the ignition module and that didn't help. I swapped the coil packs, even if the original one tested good, still won't start. I have fuel going in, sparks and the voltage is always above 12 volts. The only time that it is trying to start is at full throttle, then the intake manifold gets totally flooded. I had to syphon fuel out of it. I let it dry out and unplugged the fuel pump switch on the passenger side off, to try to clear the flooded engine. After all this, I plugged the pump switch and made sure everything was connected properly... still no start. I'm usually pretty good with this kind of stuff, but this time I don't know what to do. If I understand correctly the ignition module would be able to start that engine and keep it at 10 degrees BTDC as long as the crank sensor and the coils are good. I
I'm stomped.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

A few simple tests
When you turn on the key the CEL(check engine light) should come on, that means computer is powered up
When you try to start engine, the CEL should go OFF when engine is turning over, that means Crank sensor is working, computer "sees" timing pulse

On the 4.0l Engine, behind and below alternator on lower intake is the FPR(fuel pressure regulator) it has the Fuel Return hose attached AND a vacuum hose
Remove the vacuum hose and check if there is gasoline in it, if so FPR is bad and you are sucking raw gasoline into intake via that vacuum line, not an uncommon failure

All Fuel injected engine computers have the "Clear Flooded engine" setting
Turn on key
Press gas pedal down to the floor all the way and HOLD IT DOWN, 0 rpms + WOT(wide open throttle)= shut off fuel injectors
Then try to start engine, still holding gas pedal down
It should not start or even fire, there is spark but no injectors/no fuel
Crank engine for 5-10 seconds to dry it out
Release gas pedal while still cranking and engine should start now that its dried out

If engine fires or starts with gas pedal to the floor then you have a leaking FPR or leaking fuel injector

1994 and earlier Computers have 2 or 3 capacitors that can fail and leak, under $5 to replace them
These can cause all sorts of fuel issues, since that's what the computer controls, fuel
1994 and earlier Rangers have separate spark modules, computer just controls fuel

Inside of computer seen here: http://www.auto-diagnostics.info/ford_eec_iv

3 Blue capacitors are easy to see
Always worth a look, because you WILL need to change them at some point

Last edited:

PierreP

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Welcome to TRS :)

A few simple tests
When you turn on the key the CEL(check engine light) should come on, that means computer is powered up
When you try to start engine, the CEL should go OFF when engine is turning over, that means Crank sensor is working, computer "sees" timing pulse

On the 4.0l Engine, behind and below alternator on lower intake is the FPR(fuel pressure regulator) it has the Fuel Return hose attached AND a vacuum hose
Remove the vacuum hose and check if there is gasoline in it, if so FPR is bad and you are sucking raw gasoline into intake via that vacuum line, not an uncommon failure

All Fuel injected engine computers have the "Clear Flooded engine" setting
Turn on key
Press gas pedal down to the floor all the way and HOLD IT DOWN, 0 rpms + WOT(wide open throttle)= shut off fuel injectors
Then try to start engine, still holding gas pedal down
It should not start or even fire, there is spark but no injectors/no fuel
Crank engine for 5-10 seconds to dry it out
Release gas pedal while still cranking and engine should start now that its dried out

If engine fires or starts with gas pedal to the floor then you have a leaking FPR or leaking fuel injector

1994 and earlier Computers have 2 or 3 capacitors that can fail and leak, under $5 to replace them
These can cause all sorts of fuel issues, since that's what the computer controls, fuel
1994 and earlier Rangers have separate spark modules, computer just controls fuel

Inside of computer seen here: http://www.auto-diagnostics.info/ford_eec_iv

3 Blue capacitors are easy to see
Always worth a look, because you WILL need to change them at some point
Thanks Ron, I greatly appreciate the information. Now I know both of my crank sensors are working... I will check the FPR and the capacitors and update this thread with the results.

PierreP

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Hi! Just an update. The fuel regulator was leaking badly into the intake manifold. After replacing it, I needed to put a fresh set of spark plugs because the ones I put in previously were so gummed up. The Ranger started right away and is running like a top. Thanks Ron!

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Good work (y)

Thanks for the "thanks" and THE FIX, it WILL help someone else down the road

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals