• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

92 Ranger 4.0 5 speed manual 4x4 towing question

HWXWOLF

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Hey so I have a 4.0 ranger with the manual transmission and a 2.5 inch lift. Im looking to tow a car from TN to NC (245 miles). The curb weight on the car is 2800. I was wondering if it would be possible or if I'd have to add a trans cooler. Anything is helpful thanks

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Shouldn't need a trans cooler on a manual. Just make sure you load the car to the front of the trailer, watch the back of the truck as you pull the car on the trailer. Make sure the truck squats some. Not radically, but make sure the back of the truck definitely has weight on it. And make sure the brakes on the trailer work. I would not pull it without trailer brakes.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

You will be over the "legal" towing weight for the 1992 Ranger 4.0l manual trans which is 2,700lbs(automatic is 4,200lbs)

Car = 2,800lbs
Trailer = 1,900lbs<<< probably more
so 4,700lbs, which is over even the automatic Ranger's towing weight limit

You "can" do it, but you "may" not do it
Can is the ability to do something, I think you can do it if brakes are good and clutch is good
May is having permission to do something, and you won't have permission for your Ranger towing that weight on a public road

So you would be on the road illegally, you could get stopped and have to leave the car/trailer where it sits and come back with a vehicle that "may" tow it, and pay the fine
If there is an accident, doesn't have to be weight related, your insurance company can "walk away", they have a clause about "operating insured vehicle in a legal and lawful manner"

I would look at the cost of renting a u-haul truck for this move, you WILL wear down your clutch ALOT and your brakes

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals