• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

92 ranger 302 swap

Beau92ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I’m new to the forum but follow these threads for everything ranger related, I now am moving to 302 swap my ranger and have read that explorer 5.0 engines work decently for this. Would a 2000 explorer 5.0 work with my year ranger? Or would it be easier with a little bit of an older 302? If so which one?

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Depends if you have access to the entire vehicle since you will need much more than just the motor. For a 2000 to work you will need the engine, transmission, ECU, complete engine and trans wiring harness, fuse and relay panels, pats module and transceiver unless you send the ECU to have the PATS security deleted, radiator, most of the fuel system, and some other odds and ends. There will be alot of custom wiring involved, especially to get the dash to work. If they are both 4x4 then the transfer case is an issue as well.

A pre 1995 engine would definitely be less work since there is no security system, and the fuel systems operate at similar pressure.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

+1 to all the above

Bookmark this page: https://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/index.shtml

Look in "Engine" section and/or "Conversion" section(at bottom)

Loads of V8 swap info there

This is a good one: https://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/V8Conversions.shtml

Yes, the 1996-2001 V8 Explorers were the best for swapping into a Ranger, they were distributorless Fuel injected V8s, with a low intake manifold so fit under the hood of Rangers(and Explorers, lol)

1996/7 V8 Explorers didn't have PATS so once less thing to deal with, 1998-2001 have PATS you also need to get at least ONE KEY with vehicle
Yes, you need the whole vehicle or parts will nickle and dime you into poverty, lol

Carb/distributor V8 swaps are easier but then you are stuck with carb and distributor tuning the rest of your life, lol

Last edited:

Beau92ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
In your opinion would you decide to use any explorer 5.0 at all or maybe an f150 5.0, I’m fairly new to trying to swap this out and want to get as much input as possible before jumping on a decision

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Early explorers share a frame with rangers. So definitely a bonus IF you have the entire vehicle. Again, you need more than an engine... you need a donor vehicle to take alot of parts from. A 5.0 doesn't just drop into a ranger and plug in.

MikeG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B4000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
235/75r15
Search on "FEAD" or Front End Accessory Drive, which is with the Exploder v8s. Fits in a Ranger engine bay better.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals