• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

92 ford ranger 2.3 to automatic?

Pony

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
So I have a 92 ford ranger that I want to make automatic I have searched and haven't found anything on this topic, What transmission can be used?
Thank you in advance

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
A-un-4-tunate-LD would be the most viable option.

Pony

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Alright thank you a lot, that will bolt up to the engine correct? I will start looking

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
The A4LD was the only auto transmission put behind these as far as I know unless you find a C4 from a really early one if they even put that on these... you'll have to find one from another 2.3L Ranger or 2.3L turbo thunderbird. I'm not really sure what changes will need to be made wiring wise but I know the auto Rangers had a different computer program in them...

Pony

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Yeah I had a feeling I would need the computer as well, So I would need to find it out of another 2.3 alright. I appreciate the help. so with wires, computer transmissions what could I do for a shifter? would I just need to get the steering assembly or a floor shifter?

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
The best bet is to shop at a yard where you can pull the transmission, linkage, torque converter, shift lever & boot, and maybe the drive shaft. Then you get to pull the computer and associated wiring to enable the torque converter lockup solenoid, and starter lockout/enable, and ??? Might need the cross member also to support the tailhousing. This is a lot of work.
I would consider buying a complete truck, swapping what I need and then junking the remainder.
The A4LD can be built to handle the output of a 4.0, and even bone stock haul around an Aero* pulling a trailer full of horseflesh, and even last to 180k doing so. So handling 2.3 output should be no problem if built well.
Unless you really really really like your current vehicle, I would suggest taking your time to find a replacement with an automatic transmission that you like and replace your truck with that.
tom

Mikel89us

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L (2.5L soon)
Transmission
Manual
A swap to an auto isn't easy at all, there's a lot of wiring, plumbing etc. I would do as said earlier, buy a different truck with an auto. You can probably find one with a bad motor, which is usually a cracked head or blown head gasket, for about the same price as the cost of the swap and fix it or swap in your current motor. They did use the c4 on a 2.3, but the bell housing is extremely hard to find. They used a c3 in the older 2.3 mustangs/pinto that are your easiest option because they are hydraulic controlled, and require no wiring. They do however, have no overdrive, so if you want to keep fuel mileage, you wont want to do that.

rangeron33s

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Just out of curiosity why would you want to switch from the stick to an automatic with a ranger? The transmission that would go on to a 92 is the a4ld. Which is the most problematic transmission Ford has ever made...just saying there's a reason you can't find any info on doing a swap like that.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Just out of curiosity why would you want to switch from the stick to an automatic with a ranger? The transmission that would go on to a 92 is the a4ld. Which is the most problematic transmission Ford has ever made...just saying there's a reason you can't find any info on doing a swap like that.
I had been thinking of doing this swap...not because I like automatics or anything...but my current situation prevents me from driving a manual transmission and lI've just sunk a whack of money into my truck so I don't want to let it go if I can...

However, as it appears, the swap to an automatic would be a bit too much work...especially now that I have the 2.5 engine instead of the 2.3 (I know they are the same essentially, but this is fuel injected with a computer)...

Just my reason...could be dozens of reasons...but I'm sure you could count them yourself if you thought about it...

rangeron33s

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I see. Well then good luck with your swap and I hope the a4ld treats you better than it did me. I would suggest finding someone parting out an automatic ranger with the same motor as yours. You'll need the steering column, shifter linkage, radiator, coolant lines, and some wiring. I would trace the wires that plug into the automatic and disconnect them as close to the main harness as you can get. Your also going to need the gauge cluster and possibly the wiring harness behind the dash or at least some of it to get the cluster to work rite. Not sure I've never done this so it's just a thought. And if there are any vacuum lines you will for sure need to trace them and figure out how to run them into your vacuum system.you will most likely need the drive shaft also.

rangeron33s

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You could also just bolt up the auto and the drive shaft and radiator and then just run a custom slap shifter type setup.

XLTsplash

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Ford also put C/3 automatics behind 2.3Ls in Mustangs, Pintos and other Ford products. The best way to change is to find a 2.3L A/T Ranger to get all of the parts you need for the swap. I've Changed two Mustangs from autos the manuals and they were both easy bolt in swaps when you have all of the parts you need. Good luck.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals