• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

92 4.0l into 91 2.9l truck?

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Transmission
Manual
92 4.0l into 91 2.9l truck?-my swap thread

my 4.0l swap thread,
anyone know the differences between the 91 and 92 dash harnesses,or have links on hand for good(free) online wiring diagrams,or similar threads?i'm using the complete engine bay harnesses from the 92 and any 4.0l spec. stuff i can find.

Last edited:

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
If the '92 is a ranger it's essentially a plug it in and start it up
process.

If you are working with an explorer harness there are some differences and I'd suggest doing some ebay shopping for the relevant EVTM manuals.

Hell, even with my tech library I recently bought another EVTM recently
one for a 1993 LincolnMk7 (I'm playing with the complete audio system from one)

AD

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Transmission
Manual
If the '92 is a ranger it's essentially a plug it in and start it up
process.

I'd suggest doing some ebay shopping for the relevant EVTM manuals.
AD
is an "EVTM" a factory electrical manual?i should get one for a 91 and 92 anyway .yes the donor harness is from a 5 speed 4.0l 92 ranger,so that it will make it easier to smog(f-n california) and "plug and play" sounded good to me(i know i'll need to go over it all so i can be sure)!

Last edited:

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Transmission
Manual
here's the donor engine bay harnesses for a 92 ranger 2wd

and some of the other 92 stuff

92 2wd ranger cpu

still waiting on the EVTM's for 91 and 92 to show up and them i'll get into the wiring

Last edited:

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Transmission
Manual
another thing i was wondering is this-should i put the 3/8" duff coil spacers on my truck to compensate for the 4.0l?how much heavier is it?

EDIT:no need for alignment,they are almost the same weight.

Last edited:

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
I have no idea how much heavier it is.

I installed NEW coils while my truck was jackstand wheeling.

EVTM, Electrical Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual

It doesn't show the wiring routing per-say what it is is an explanation
of what the wiring DOES which is actually somewhat more useful

AD

2manyfords

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I wouldn't worry about coil spring spacers unless the springs are already sagged.

My '92 Ranger was a 2.9L truck and installing a 4.0L didn't make any real difference to ride height when the stock suspension was on it.

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Transmission
Manual
they look about the same size but i woulden't be surprised if i gained a hundred pounds between the motor and the tranny.i'll add the spacers anyway.EVTM's will be here any day now that i figured out paypal.i have alldata at my disposal also if i need.

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Transmission
Manual
so i tore into it today finally and removed the 2.9l cpu,
engine bay harnesses and got the donor cpu,its harness,and the drivers side harness into my truck.

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Transmission
Manual
i figured it would be easiest to re-pin the 92 donor headlight harness to match my 91 dash harness,

so since i don't have a diagram yet of the big connector i unplugged the 91 harness and cut off the white connector with a cut-off wheel about 1" from the connector so it would be easier to draw a diagram with the body of the connector and where the pins are in each connector-(91 and 92),and what color each wire is.this is made easier by the terminals on the connector being numbered 1-53.i noted 8 wires that were different and am still working on them.

this plug in my hand and the two to the right had me worried but ford left the wires the same color and i was even able to just take the wires out of the big connector and slide them into the ends i cut of the 91 harness.

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Transmission
Manual
can't forget my trusty copilot grumpy!providing moral support and protection throughout the swap:icon_twisted:

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Transmission
Manual
so i'm down to 4 wires left!one of them goes to this connector/plug?:

do any of you guys know what it is?its on the drivers side,inside of the radiator support,it has a plug in the end with 4 terminals inside.in the circuit i'm chasing,both harnesses(91 and 92) go to this in the same terminal but the wires are different colors.:dunno:

Last edited:

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Transmission
Manual
EVTM, Electrical Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual

It doesn't show the wiring routing per-say what it is is an explanation
of what the wiring DOES which is actually somewhat more useful

AD
thanks allen for the advise,spot on!:icon_thumby: i went through everything after getting the EVTM'S and i've got to say that aquiring them is one of the best suggestions i've got on a ranger site.connector pin-outs,component and connector location,troubleshooting tips.i'm getting one for every ford i have to work on!i see now that with the EVTM'S i should have just used the cpu and harness from my donor explorer and sold my jba's instead of trading them for a ranger harness.oh well though i have a harness and cpu for a 4.0l swap into a b2 later on.once i get a long block i'll post up more pics and swap info.

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Transmission
Manual
any of you guys use the 4.0l torque damper found on 4.0l rangers at the drivers front of the motor for your swap? the explorer doesn't have it and i'm curious if it's really neccessary?

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Transmission
Manual
finally found a motor and got her buttoned up these last couple days.i used a non egr 4.0 from a 93 sploder so i only needed to swap the engine wiring harness.
she fired the first time and settled into a steady idle.i still need to pull codes and put the rest of the truck back together but the short test drive i took was enough to convince me the 4.0 is MUCH more spirited in a ranger than the exploders i'm used to.my 33" tires spin like the little stockers used to LOL.
fuel lines plugged right in,wiring was pretty simple once i had the EVTM's for both trucks(thanks for the advise AllanD:icon_cheers:)i had to splice less than 10 wires,and i reused the old motor mounts and radiator.didn't need the gauge cluster mine works fine.
the shift linkage and removeable plate on the tranny hump came from a 91 explorer and bolted straight in.
i don't care if i wind up getting the same or a little better mileage,(i was getting 15-17) it was totally worth it!:3gears:

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals