• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

92 2.3L to 302 v8 swap with t5 trans.

njmrmike

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Today starts the day of my 302 swap. I've picked up a 302 (EFI) engine that came out of a 94 f150 that I plan to convert it to a carb.... I've done tons of research on swapping the engine but the one thing that I'm having trouble finding is information regarding the transmission.
I've read that the transmission that's in my truck will not hold up to the 302. (I have a 5 speed manual in the truck now)....

With all the research i've done about swapping the engine, there's one question that's still unanswered. Regarding a T5 transmission.. What type of problems should I expect to encounter? Does the cross bracket that currently holds the trans up have to be relocated to allow the t5 to be placed under the truck or will it just slide right in?

With that being said, what about the driveshaft and rear?

Please note: I will not put an auto in the truck, Im going old school with this swap.

njmrmike

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I guess to better ask a question. Has anyone put a T5 trans in a 92 ford ranger 2.3?

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
I run a front shift, rear socket, T5Z that I bought from Modern Driveline. The bell housing can be a tight fit getting it over the radius arm crossmember. The driveshaft I had custom made. I picked up an aluminum shaft from a Ford Explorer Limited at the local junkyard for $20 and had a local driveline shop shorten and balance it for around $180

I used 1310-1330 conversion u-joints: Moog Super Strength U-Joints 253

The transmission crossmember in the truck can be used, but you may have to modify the hole spacing, depending on which transmission mount you use.

Of course this can all change depending on which donor you get your T5 from. The SN95 style of Mustang uses a slightly longer bellhousing and that T5 has a slightly longer input shaft to match the bellhousing. The Foxbody Mustangs used a slightly shorter bellhousing and the input shaft was slightly shorter to match. That being said, I believe the SN95 T5 transmissions were a little stronger than some previous versions. You'll have to do your research to find out what donor to get your T5 from. It will survive just fine behind a V8 until you get up around 300+ HP and beyond.

You'll have to cut a new hole in your transmission tunnel for the shifter, unless you buy a front shift tailhousing from Modern Driveline. The Chevy S10 tailhousing conversion to get front shift isn't recommended by any T5 builder I talked to. That conversion has oiling issues and the speedo drive can be a lengthy project to get right. I didn't like any of the options in that conversion that I saw so I contacted Modern Driveline for my transmission package.

njmrmike

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
as far as the front shift tailhousing, I already plan on cutting a hole in the floorboard to gain accuses to the shiftier. Regarding the driveshaft, I already expected to have to cut and re-balance it. Is there a certain transmission that you would recommend?

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
If I were you, I'd just start researching the T5 through Google. That's what I did prior to my swap. There are a lot of differences in the T5 from various years, and some can be quite weak, which has given them a bad name over the years.

Here's some good stuff to get you started:

http://www.moderndriveline.com/Technical_Bits/t5_history.htm

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/tech-ultimate-t-5-article.171291/

http://www.britishv8.org/Articles/Borg-Warner-T5-ID-Tags.htm

Depending on which seats you have, the shifter may end up in a really bad location.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals