• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

91 stubby ranger build thread

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.
It will make a difference. Even at 4.5* if you hit a bump just right you can still get a small death wobble.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
8 inches
Tire Size
35"
It will make a difference. Even at 4.5* if you hit a bump just right you can still get a small death wobble.
I had death wobble at first I found my track bar bushing was worn out and the bolt was the wrong size. But when I fixed that my death wobble went away. It was mainly just it wondered so bad at above 55 it was scary to drive.

I rebuilt my spare steering box today and tapped it for hydro steer. My old box was making a grinding noise and was leaking out the pitman arm.Took it into town and got on the hwy took it to 70 and it is night and day better. I’m going to work on getting my sway bar on and see how that helps which I think it will. It’s moving along!

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
8 inches
Tire Size
35"
I've got a few more things done on the Ranger. I pulled out my Chinese winch and put my Smittybuilt in. Had to trim away more of my grille which olwell but I didn't really want to do any more but it fits and its on there.
I did the power steering upgrade, to the jeep liberty pump. I'm not sure if it will be enough pump to do hydo assist steering now. But I'm going to try it. I have the underdrive pully on it, well see how it does. I bought a G3 250 amp alt, I'm excited to get it on there. Added some hood lights, Really like how they look.

I've been driving it every week up to the mine. I work out of town on a rotation schedule. Other than burning oil, which it will burn a qrt in 4 days. lol But it drives ok, Goes 70-75 on the flat. Its getting around 13 mpg, which I'm happy with. my stock explorer got 14-15. and this thing is a monster truck compared to it.
IMG_4424[1].JPG
IMG_4424[1].JPG
IMG_4425[1].JPG
IMG_4413[1].JPG
IMG_4414[1].JPG
IMG_4429[1].JPG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
8 inches
Tire Size
35"
Well I didn't do anything to the ranger on this days off. I did buy a Brand new yukon grizzly locker ($300 bucks brand new in the box market place for the win) for the D44, ordered 488 gears and a rebuild kit. Started cutting of the long side coil mounts. Have some more trimming to do with the plasma cutter and all get ready to narrow it. I'm not 100% sure I want to do it yet, but Idk I don't want this thing to be to wide. I feel its close already, I get that i can buy custom back spaced wheels and all that but its already 10 in wider than the D30. I do have an early D30 that is narrower than the newer ones but still.

Also got the B2 into the shop, need to pull the engine on it, and see about a rebuild.

Attachments

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad