• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

91' rear end?

allpau2thou

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
1991 5.0 H.O. carbureted
Transmission
Automatic
Will the rear end from a 93 ford mustang 5.0 lx. 8.8 4lug with drum brakes. 3.27 gearing work in my 91' Ranger super cab?

kirk3000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 sohc
Transmission
Manual
It will... But its narrower, different bolt pattern, set up for a 4-link, and is not worth the hassle. Get a ranger or explorer rear end.
I think the mustang has 28 spline axles, so nothing special.
But the carrier (except explorer) and gears (all 3) are interchangeable.
Use the search function.

allpau2thou

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
1991 5.0 H.O. carbureted
Transmission
Automatic
Cool, Thanks. Is there a specific year range I can find posi rear in for the ranger/explorer?

Teddyzee

December 2011 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L HO, GT40 heads, GT40 intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster muffl
Transmission
Manual
Just for kicks, a Mustang rear is wider... And Mustang 8.8s come in three widths from '87(?) to '04.

allpau2thou

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
1991 5.0 H.O. carbureted
Transmission
Automatic
My ranger has the open 8.8" with 3.08 gears. I need a Posi rear right? And what about a more narrow rear axl so I could put on a wider tirre?

Last edited:

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
My ranger has the open 8.8" with 3.08 gears. I need a Posi rear right? ONLY IF YOU WANT ONE And what about a more narrow rear axl so I could put on a wider tirre?
You can often fit a wider tire by carfully choosing a wider wheel with a deeper backspacing.

allpau2thou

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
1991 5.0 H.O. carbureted
Transmission
Automatic
Ok. I do want posi. The explorer 8.8 needs to be modified. Is there a posi that fits a 91 ranger without any fabrications? If so in what year make and model can it be found!

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
You can swap the traction loc differential from a Mustang GT into your 8.8 rear, no need to swap the whole rearend. This can be done in a half a day on your own, with no special tools. You will need instuctions on checking the ring gear pattern after you put it back together, I don't think you'll need to change the pinion depth afterwards. Basically what you'll be doing is removing the rear cover, pull the C-clip off the axles, pull the axles. Unbolt the four bolts holding the differential in the housing, then swap your ring gear between the open diff to the trac loc diff, then put it back together. Then check the wear pattern on the ring gear teeth and make adjustments as necessary.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Or just find a Ranger 8.8 with factory limited slip and swap the whole axle assembly.

'93+ are a little wider, actually they are the same width as the front. From the factory the front does not match the rear in width on first and second generation trucks.

allpau2thou

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
1991 5.0 H.O. carbureted
Transmission
Automatic
What model/year ranger had the 8.8 limited slip?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You have to look at the tag, AFAIK it was available throughout the Ranger's production. Some heavier rated 3.0 trucks and all 4.0's have the 8.8 rear axle.

If there is an L between the gear ratio designation like 3L73 means 3.73 gears with a limited slip. The best way (in case somebody got cute switching tags) is to pull off the cover and look for the big S spring wedged in the carrier.

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/Axles.html

The very first year FX4 (2002 I believe) and the FX4 Level II's after that had a Torson gear type limited slip with 31 spine axles. Not really common to happen apoun.

allpau2thou

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
1991 5.0 H.O. carbureted
Transmission
Automatic
Or just find a Ranger 8.8 with factory limited slip and swap the whole axle assembly.

'93+ are a little wider, actually they are the same width as the front. From the factory the front does not match the rear in width on first and second generation trucks.
I like this idea but I think it's a little over my head at the moment. I have my hands full swapping the motors...

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I like this idea but I think it's a little over my head at the moment. I have my hands full swapping the motors...
Also of note then is the later trucks (I think newer than 91) use a bigger U-joint on the rear, so keep that in mind before you have your driveshaft made.

Pretty simple swap really, just the eight nuts that hold the axle to the spring, two bolts for the shocks and four bolts for the driveshaft. You will probably want/need to pull it all apart and change the clutches in it though.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals