• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

91 Ranger transmission help

a-aron087

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
I've got a 91 ranger with a transmission that the previous owners hacked up in order to make it fit. The engine is a 2.3L 4cyl and the transmission number that the Ford dealership told me the truck shipped with is f07a-hb which I've determined is a Mazda m5r1 5 speed manual. I've found an f27a-ua for sale and I'm wondering if it will work (also an m5r1 but with a different tooth count on 5th gear and reverse synchro). The current trans is an e87a-eg which is ALSO an m5r1 with a different 5th and reverse tooth count. Wouldn't be so worried about this but the current trans is the same type as the one I'm looking at and I'd like to be 100% sure before I get it.

Edit: Here's a pic of the modifications the previous owners did. This is at the connection for the slave cylinder. Put the truck in all 5 gears and it turned the motor so I'm going to say the trans is still good.
20210102_103215.jpg

Last edited:

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
What's wrong with the trans in it now? I don't know what "hacked up" means. Only a trans meant to be behind a 2.3 is going to fit behind the 2.3 correct? Or am I wrong about that.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I'm confused as well, there were only a few differences on the M5OD from '87 or '88 when they started using them through the end, around '89 they took out the neutral safety switch, in '92 they changed the 5/R slider tooth count and the slave cylinder changed. You are correct, only a 2.0/2.3/2.5 transmission will bolt up unless they really cobbled things together with multiple transmissions...

What's it doing or not doing? What did they hack together? The M5OD is a fairly durable transmission, the one in my '90 has at least 200k on it, years ago I decided to put new bearings and synchro's in it but the only thing that was really bad (no symptoms, just was worn) was the 5/R slider which I replaced while in there. I'm not exactly nice to the thing and it just keeps going.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to the forum

M5OD-R1 is a "model number", like Ranger is a Ford Model

A Ranger can be 2WD, 4x4, have a 4cyl or V6 engine, manual or automatic, but its the same Model

M5OD-R1 had 7 "sub-models", Ford Ranger had way more than 7 sub-models, lol

M5OD-R1(aka M5R1) has an integrated bellhousing which means each one was made for a specific engine model
These are the sub-models
2.3l/2.5l SOHC 2WD M5R1(Mazda2300 1994-2001)
2.3l/2.5l SOHC 4WD M5R1(Mazda2300 1994-2001)

2.9l/4.0l 2WD M5R1(M5R1-HD)(Mazda B4000 1994 and up)
2.9l/4.0l 4WD M5R1(M5R1-HD)(Mazda B4000 1994 and up)

3.0l 2WD M5R1(Mazda B3000 1994 and up)
3.0l 4WD M5R1(Mazda B3000 1994 and up)

2.3l DOHC 2WD M5R1(Mazda B2300 2002 and up)
No 4WD version, and no, this 2.3l M5R1 will NOT fit the earlier 2.3l SOHC or visa versa

None of the 7 sub-models is interchangeable

1991 Ranger 2.3l will have the SOHC so will need the M5R1 sub model for the 2.3l/2.5l SOHC engine, and matching the 2WD or 4x4 drive train
There is no "part number" just have to ask seller if its from a 2.3l or 2.5l SOHC engine
In 2WD these were used from 1988 to 2001(1998-2001 in 2.5l Rangers)

a-aron087

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
What's wrong with the trans in it now? I don't know what "hacked up" means. Only a trans meant to be behind a 2.3 is going to fit behind the 2.3 correct? Or am I wrong about that.
I got under the truck yesterday and looks like the took a grinder to the area on the bell housing where the hydraulic line for the slave cylinder hooks in. I can't see where they've modified anything else so it looks like the trans bolts up just fine. It's my uncles truck so I'm going off of alot of second hand knowledge but I talked to him the other day and he said that the previous owners messed up that slave cylinder connection (in the location where they've ground the trans housing) somehow and now the clutch pedal stays on the floor. Not sure if hes tried to fill the system with fluid and it leaks or what the deal is. Previous owners were a bunch of tweakers so there's no telling why they did what they did.

a-aron087

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to the forum

M5OD-R1 is a "model number", like Ranger is a Ford Model

A Ranger can be 2WD, 4x4, have a 4cyl or V6 engine, manual or automatic, but its the same Model

M5OD-R1 had 7 "sub-models", Ford Ranger had way more than 7 sub-models, lol

M5OD-R1(aka M5R1) has an integrated bellhousing which means each one was made for a specific engine model
These are the sub-models
2.3l/2.5l SOHC 2WD M5R1(Mazda2300 1994-2001)
2.3l/2.5l SOHC 4WD M5R1(Mazda2300 1994-2001)

2.9l/4.0l 2WD M5R1(M5R1-HD)(Mazda B4000 1994 and up)
2.9l/4.0l 4WD M5R1(M5R1-HD)(Mazda B4000 1994 and up)

3.0l 2WD M5R1(Mazda B3000 1994 and up)
3.0l 4WD M5R1(Mazda B3000 1994 and up)

2.3l DOHC 2WD M5R1(Mazda B2300 2002 and up)
No 4WD version, and no, this 2.3l M5R1 will NOT fit the earlier 2.3l SOHC or visa versa

None of the 7 sub-models is interchangeable

1991 Ranger 2.3l will have the SOHC so will need the M5R1 sub model for the 2.3l/2.5l SOHC engine, and matching the 2WD or 4x4 drive train
There is no "part number" just have to ask seller if its from a 2.3l or 2.5l SOHC engine
In 2WD these were used from 1988 to 2001(1998-2001 in 2.5l Rangers)
Seller did say it came off of a 2.3L. Said it was a trans from a u pull place that he got for a customer of his but that the guy ended up not needing it. I'm going to make sure to run it through the gears before I get it since it is a junkyard trans. Should be a bit better though since it was pulled by the u pull place and sold that way.

a-aron087

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
I'm confused as well, there were only a few differences on the M5OD from '87 or '88 when they started using them through the end, around '89 they took out the neutral safety switch, in '92 they changed the 5/R slider tooth count and the slave cylinder changed. You are correct, only a 2.0/2.3/2.5 transmission will bolt up unless they really cobbled things together with multiple transmissions...

What's it doing or not doing? What did they hack together? The M5OD is a fairly durable transmission, the one in my '90 has at least 200k on it, years ago I decided to put new bearings and synchro's in it but the only thing that was really bad (no symptoms, just was worn) was the 5/R slider which I replaced while in there. I'm not exactly nice to the thing and it just keeps going.
The clutch pedal stays on the floor. I looked under the truck yesterday and the mounts look unaltered but where the hydraulic line for the slave cylinder hooks in the side of the trans has been ground down for some reason. My uncle (the owner of the truck) said that the connection got messed up when they ground it down and that's why the clutch is on the floor. Not sure if it leaks or he just hasn't put fluid in the master cylinder but he says that's the main problem with it. Also that the dust covers are missing. I'll try to add a picture to my original post so yall can see what I'm talking about. It's also a little hard because I'm going off of second hand knowledge lol.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Don't be disappointed if you put the other trans in place and the clutch pedal still goes to the floor. Even if you replace the throwout slave and the clutch master during the swap. Those hydraulic clutch systems can be very hard to bleed and get all the air out. So see if you can find some threads on that, and any tricks people have to get them bled.

a-aron087

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
Don't be disappointed if you put the other trans in place and the clutch pedal still goes to the floor. Even if you replace the throwout slave and the clutch master during the swap. Those hydraulic clutch systems can be very hard to bleed and get all the air out. So see if you can find some threads on that, and any tricks people have to get them bled.
Ok. I'm going to try and do some more hands on research with the truck today and try and get a pic uploaded so everyone can see the modification I'm talking about.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
If the pedal is doing something like that I would be tempted to pull the master cylinder and line assembly out of the vehicle and bench bleed it, or probably take the clutch switch off then the snap ring holding the piston in and bleed it that way, it sounds like a master cylinder or slave cylinder problem. I would DEFINITELY go after the master cylinder first, the slave cylinder involves pulling the transmission... These clutch systems DO NOT like to gravity bleed, if there's a little air in the slave that will gravity bleed, but the master cylinder will not.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals